Android Tops 81 Percent of the Smartphone Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
This really isn't surprising. With Android being on so many handsets (including the freebies that carriers give out), it really is expected. I prefer my iOS devices (I've used what feels like every handset out there), but Android offers some compelling points obviously.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Neat, but as a Windows phone user, I can understand why MS didn't report this. There are multiple ways to spin these numbers negatively, but really only one to spin them positively, which is the one they chose to headline. Fastest growing is all good and fine, but they sold 10.2 million out of over 250 million total units. Fastest growing = small increase in their tiny fraction of market share. They are still a tiny, tiny player - to put this in perspective, Windows phone holds less of the phone market than Apple does of the desktop OS market. Small players warrant limited attention. Sorry to say, this applies to the Surface line of products as well - and I say this as a happy Surface RT owner.

Not that surprising from a site that finishes off the article with "How long until we pass iOS in quarterly shipments with Windows Phone?" You don't identify yourself as "we" in relation to a product unless you're *really* invested.

Even more interesting is the fact that Samsung has taken the lead in terms of smartphone sales (again).
I am not very fond of having any smartphone manufacturer taking a significant lead over the rest, as only competition leads to better devices and good prices for consumers.
That being said, any manufacturer is better than Apple; because of their closed and over-controlled environment Apple devices are a prime example of what technology should NOT become (tech equivalent of the Third Reich), and this is the main reason of being despised by anyone with half a brain still functioning.

Samsroid

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I have a nephew who changed from iOS (iPhone) to Android (Samsung), and after a week returned it and got the iPhone 5S instead. he says the change to Android/Samsung almost made him vomit.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have a nephew who changed from iOS (iPhone) to Android (Samsung), and after a week returned it and got the iPhone 5S instead. he says the change to Android/Samsung almost made him vomit.

Things moving too fast can do that to people. It's okay, I'm sure he'll be fine.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
With all this "success" you would think that more Android companies would be as wildly profitable as Samsung and Google. Android certainly isn't the Windows of mobile software.

migaltec

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Quote:
The iPhone 6 is going to be devastating to every other smartphone company most likely.
-

Why is that ?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

One of the reasons for this is Samsung is about the only OEM out there that gives the customer choice. Their's is about the only phone that still has both an SD slot and a swappable battery.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
iPhone6 won't have any more impact on the smartphone market than iPhone5S.

Apple is going to continue losing market share as long as they keep ignoring sales trends. Android and WP are gaining market share because they don't cater to a single market segment. They have products covering all market segments. Blackberry has just simply, become irrelevant....

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Just switched over my entire family from four iPhones to three Moto X and one Galxy S4 Active (My aunt does a lot of kayaking and liked that it's waterproof).

They were all apprehensive at first, but now are glad they made the change. They can't stop talking about how Google Now knows everything and about "those wonderful big screens." Not one misses anything about their iPhone. Every app they used was available for Android, and despite the AT&T guy trying to say the iPhone was much easier to use, no one had any problems the transition to Android. All I had to do was explain the back button and app drawer and they were fine.

Next up is dumping the Windows and Mac PCs for Chromebooks.

GeeLouie

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
otacon , November 3, 2013 3:49 PM

Because everyone I know is simply waiting for Apple to make a bigger iPhone before dumping their Android crap.

Still trolling the forums with empty hateful posts? Why don;t you comment on the fact Apple is shrinking and will be in single digit market share within a year. Why don;t you comment on the other article posted yesterday showing how inaccurate iphone screens really are? Within the last year I saw 9 friends drop their iphones and bought android phones. 9 out of nine are now on cloud nine! I have not seen one person go from android to iphone except one person and that person came back to android within 6 months!

GeeLouie

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

Yes there are many android phones out there...ITS CALLED CHOICE!

You apple fanatics are proud your company offers you NO CHOICE.

BTW, the top 5 smartphones are not from apple. 4 android phones and 1 windows phone make up the top 5. Apple comes in 6th and that is being generous.

here, you must have missed how iphone screens are horrible:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/galaxy-s3-beats-iphone-5s-5c-touch-accuracy,24874.html

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
The idea that people only buy Android phones at the low end is not valid as many Android phones are more expensive and premium than the iPhone. The Note 3 is a good example of this.

Also, the argument that people are waiting for a bigger iPhone or whatever also holds very little water because it assumes iOS is superior, which is no longer true. In the past, the main reason for buying an iPhone or iPad was the smooth operating system and large app library. The newer versions of Android now match iOS in these areas, and surpass it in terms of features. It could definitely be argued that iOS is now well behind in many ways and shows no sign of catching up as iOS 7 was a mostly superficial upgrade that added very little in terms of functionality.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
"Call up Microsoft and anyone else that would help us knock Android down. Lawyers, file the suits & injunctions. We have to stop them now!"

-Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.