Android TV Could Be Google's Next Big Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Sure it will. Just like Eric Schmidt said in Dec 2011 that Google TV would be on 50% of TV's by June 2012.

Well Eric, it's now 2 years since your prediction. What happened?

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Definitely would like to see the Android TV and the like takeoff, but I would really like the ability to stream live TV. It doesn't have to be all 900+ channels DirecTV and Dish have, but at least local stations, ESPN, BBC, Velocity, Cartoon Network, etc. Some of the "basic" channels most people watch. The Live TV area seems to be the only tough area right now.

tolak

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
If they don't get with the big cable companies all of this streaming will come to a screeching halt. Especially when 4k starts streaming. Already 1080p movie is 4.2gbytes an hour on netflix so that gives me at comcast roughly 5 movies a day @ 20gb per day. 10 GB per 24 hour period x 2, cuz most of us at max will watch tv throughout 12 hour period not more. My kid is streaming, my wife is streaming, then I sometimes do as well. So this ends up blowing past the 300gb a month. Big cables interest do not align with Goals of ALL of silicon valley and this idea of cloud computing being the future, because cloud gaming would destroy 300 gb a month.

spinportal

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
China / Taiwan are selling Android TV sticks like hotcakes for $90USD. Everything like XMBC and apps preloaded. And Miracast Wifi-Direct. Google better shape up and get with the program because they are missing the boat if they think they can sell a better Roku box.

remyj123

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I agree with tolak, the live TV streaming would consume a ton of broadband. Why is it so difficult to just create the Apple TV, Google TV, etc and have a cable card slot in it/ Tivo has been using cable cards for years for the live TV piece and then have their apps for Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, etc. Works like a champ. What ever happened to cable cards anyway? I thought they were supposed to replace TV tuners in cable boxes, TVs, DVRs, etc. Seemed like the best route and does not take up any Internet bandwidth.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I think the Chromecast is a lot more innovative than this. Set top boxes are a dime a dozen. TV's should just have Google cast integrated by default. Controlling content with a smartphone is much better than using a clumsy remote and set top box menu.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
The telecommunications companies will never allow any services like this to become very useful or desirable... because it requires too much bandwidth, and even if they did, it will be ages before some parts of the country get unlimited bandwidth service. My 4G home service is 10GB a month - that's crippling. No streaming, no Netflix, and dear God don't do a raw install of Windows and try to download all the updates and applications you want. If I couldn't get unlimited 4G by tethering to my phone (grandfathered in by buying a phone at full price) I couldn't even play online games because a few updates a month plus VOIP for team stuff just burns through data.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

They're failing to respond to market forces, trying to force things rather than offering the services consumers actually want to buy. The sad part is, eventually it will get bad enough that people will demand nationalization of the telecommunications industry, or at least regulation to the point of effective nationalization - and then they'll have no choice.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Big cable and satelitte aren't far away from running themselves to the ground. Pretty soon conent will win. Google, Netflix, Amazon, Crackle.com will pay AMC TV instead of Time Warner or DTV or comcast. it's only a matter of time before cable companies become broadband companies. They are living 20 years in the past and as Microsoft can attest, the industry and it's demand aren't going to pay ball. They will find a way around it and it only takes on before all follow suit. HBO, Showtime, AMC, etc etc etc will all make way more money selling their content to streaming companies than with the current system they ahve going.

asterisx

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Live streaming is good. Will wait to see where they can take live streaming with Google's plethora of services. On the other hand, I like addition of android games. It would be cool if I could attach a chromecast size device to my HDTV for it to act as a second screen and play MC4.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Bring on more content from Netflix etc. I have no trouble replacing regular TV shows with all of Netflix's content. I hope they keep creating more Arrested Development, Hemlock Grove, House of Cards etc to make the few shows I miss on netflix etc not worth missing. I like all of their stuff so far and I wish the would pick up a few that get cancelled by the big networks as there are a lot of shows they could just continue and would have a pretty good audience. Then again, they seem pretty good so far with their own stuff. I can't wait until Netflix, Amazon etc make enough original programming that cable is useless for far more people than now so we can collectively really put the screws to Cable etc. I have very little I miss on cable/TV and not even enough time to keep up with Netflix...LOL. I hope google and apple start pumping out shows too. We need Apple to join google in taking on internet (Gbit etc) so we have more options for highspeed internet from companies that believe in UNLIMITED give us everything services. How does netflix do for $10 what cable can't do for $100? And cable owns the network. This reminds me of cable saying bandwidth hogs run up the bill, yet a usenet news server will let you stream 5TB-10TB every month for under $10 and NEVER complain you use too much while having to PAY someone for traffic use. Bandwidth can't be more than a buck per TB for these guys then right? Which since they are reselling, obviously the person owning the lines etc is getting it FAR cheaper. I'm thinking a TB costs cox $.50 cents if that. Once you pay to lay the line the data just flows until your router breaks etc. Bandwidth only falls in costs these days. Google is rolling out their service while MAKING money and charging $70. Cable TV/Internet just needs to be put down by the big tech dogs ASAP.

Google/Apple/Amazon?/MS all need to get into laying cable etc so nobody can keep capping lines and keeping prices high or traffic shaping etc. Google has proven it's dirt cheap to roll out Gbit internet AND cable TV for $100 if you don't bury everything. I say upgrade USA and leave cable etc behind to die. Look what happened in Austin. Google states plans of going there next, and suddenly cable offers free wifi roaming etc all over the city and 300Mbps early this year and faster later in the year. They can really kick into high gear when threatened huh? Suddenly they have the money to roll out faster services and free wifi all over austin, but still trying to cap connections. Once google is in, they will have to drop that last shoe on caps :) MORE COMPETITION PLEASE.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
If they don't get with the big cable companies all of this streaming will come to a screeching halt. Especially when 4k starts streaming. Already 1080p movie is 4.2gbytes an hour on netflix so that gives me at comcast roughly 5 movies a day @ 20gb per day. 10 GB per 24 hour period x 2, cuz most of us at max will watch tv throughout 12 hour period not more. My kid is streaming, my wife is streaming, then I sometimes do as well. So this ends up blowing past the 300gb a month. Big cables interest do not align with Goals of ALL of silicon valley and this idea of cloud computing being the future, because cloud gaming would destroy 300 gb a month.
That is why we need fiber and this will help bring down the cost. Why? copper has to be maintained more rigorously then fiber. The fiber is just light and has very long theoretical lifespan and one fiber has unlimited bandwidth compared to copper.Go fiber roll out.

Jay Viradiya

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Google is planning android TV? Seems that market graph of Amazon fire TV won’t raise at high stakes due to Google as its competitor. However on other-hand sales of Google Chrome-cast will not be affected at all. Planning’s of Google android TV are fantastic- when user-interface is concerned.

Hats-off to Goddess-Google! - For its approach in Android TV and honor of salute to your fabulous exploration of Google plans. At the revelation of Amazon Fire TV, I thought to avail myself with Fire TV Set-Top Box but Google has finally changed my mind!!

You can also visit us on:
http://techwaq.com/google-formulates-launch-android-tv/

Status
Not open for further replies.