(anecdote): pulling the RNG's pigtails

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

Excuse me while I catch my breath!

Yarl the female orcish wizard escaped up the stairs
with HP:5(21) and Pw:1(24) to spare, from the wrath
of delicatessen shopkeeper Papar, who was a bit
miffed about the stinking cloud, and is _really_
fried about the wand of teleport. Since Yarl zapped
him while owing nothing, after expending her PW on
alternate sleep and force bolt spells, having
bankrupted but not emptied the shop (ice chests are
*heavy*, and there's _two_ of them, in a huge, 48
item shop), and from outside the shop door, there
are no Kops in circulation, but Dlvl:4 and its gonzo
HD shopkeeper should perhaps be left to its own
devices until something in the way of a serious
upgrade can be done about Yarl's AC.

Taking on a shopkeeper while AC:9 and XL:3 is sure
good for getting the old adrenaline pumping.
Luckily, Papar didn't run out of wand zaps sent
futilely at a [CoMR, and shift to melee, before Yarl
escaped, or this would be a sadder story.

Yarl is convinced that the much feared RNG is really
wet and a weed. She has as steep learning curve
ahead of her.

xanthian.

Why do this? Just for the excitement.

Last time I tried a stinking cloud while holding
unpaid merchandise and out of wand line-of-fire, the
shopkeeper stayed at the door and suffocated. This
time the shopkeeper arrived in melee range at a
single bound. Oh, well, fail to die and gloat, and
then YASD, is Yarl's always achievable game plan.

"Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> wrote in message

> Last time I tried a stinking cloud while holding
> unpaid merchandise and out of wand line-of-fire, the
> shopkeeper stayed at the door and suffocated. This
> time the shopkeeper arrived in melee range at a
> single bound. Oh, well, fail to die and gloat, and
> then YASD, is Yarl's always achievable game plan.

Were you invisible before? I think they try to make sure you can't escape if
you are invisible.
I've stunk one to death as well but I think I was invisible (Took off [CoI
to get in and then decided that there was so much stuff that I'd just load
up and hope for teleport - I know it's not the "right" way but I can't be
bothered with all this up,down,up,down, wait for that bloody dog to fetch me
stuff).