Angelbird Now Shipping SSD RAID Card for 800 MB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The card has got two sockets per side, and multiple cards (linkable among them, by the way) fit very well into a standard case. Also, multiple arrays per card(s) are also possible. It's up to the user to configure the card as they please.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Could give you give me a source for your information, on linking and arrays?

[citation][nom]IncrementalAwesomeness[/nom]The card has got two sockets per side, and multiple cards (linkable among them, by the way) fit very well into a standard case. Also, multiple arrays per card(s) are also possible. It's up to the user to configure the card as they please.[/citation]

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Could you give me a source for your information, on linking and arrays? I would like to know more.

[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]Could give you give me a source for your information, on linking and arrays?[/citation]

G

All infos and pics are to be found on the Store. You will see pictures of the card on both sides, plus the website itself seems to be quite informative.

From what I can see, the extra power cable is needed only when using magnetic HDDs, as they require more power. SSD should not require any extra power. Description of such cable is also in the store.

ParrLeyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i will stick with my RevoDrivex2 for now[/citation]
This card has a couple of significant benefits over the RevoDrive:

- you can use any SSD to increase the storage capacity
- you can build a 512GB (2xCrucial M4 256GB SSD) config for about 3/4 the price ($950) of a 480GB Revox2 unit (Newegg = $1350), but have 8% more available space.
- you can build a 768GB (3x256GB SSD) config for about 55% of the price ($1350) of a 720GB Revox2 unit (Newegg = $2400).

ParrLeyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Although I just posted a number of positives to the offering, I am not happy that the Angelfire site doesn't have any details on the about the configuration of the card, or about what the external connector on the card does.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
The cost is larger than a SATA 6Gb mother, where you can RAID SSD faster than 500Mb/S each one, and surpass the 800Mb/s of this card.

Also, what's the point of feeding energy from the card instead of the PSU??

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]The cost is larger than a SATA 6Gb mother, where you can RAID SSD faster than 500Mb/S each one, and surpass the 800Mb/s of this card.Also, what's the point of feeding energy from the card instead of the PSU??[/citation]

800MB/s = 6.4 Gb/s (Byte vs Bit). SO no, You can't Raid a SATA to do better than this card

G

SATA3 is jut too experimental right now, we will have to wait for Intel to make their move, and we will have to wait for users to like and get used to it... These guys maximize what we have, and I like it!

I have no idea how I read it as "Angry Birds SSD". My eyes are failing!

With that said, RAID-ing a SSD seems like pushing the maximum bandwidth up for nothing (in practical terms for everyday consumers), though enterprise users would probably find this attractive.

G

As a start, it doesn't require any hanging wires around the case, meaning better airflow and tidyness, then this card ROCKS for small systems that dont have space for many drives, plus it works on Mac Pro, which doesn't have available HDD/SSD slots to attach to a third party card, and you can even link more than one card and spread the expense over time... I love this concept!

Status
Not open for further replies.