[Announce] Future Boy! released

I'm pleased to finally be able to announce the release of Future Boy!. This
interactive superhero-comic-book adventure features more superheroing,
supervillainy, and cape-wearing than any game since, well, Green Lantern
Tetris.

Everything, including a trailer, screenshots, and a downloadable demo, can
be found here:

http://www.generalcoffee.com/futureboy

--
Kent Tessman
The General Coffee Company Film Productions

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:06:28 -0500, "Kent Tessman"
<kent@remove-to-reply.generalcoffee.com> wrote:

>I'm pleased to finally be able to announce the release of Future Boy!. This
>interactive superhero-comic-book adventure features more superheroing,
>supervillainy, and cape-wearing than any game since, well, Green Lantern
>Tetris.
>
>Everything, including a trailer, screenshots, and a downloadable demo, can
>be found here:
>
>http://www.generalcoffee.com/futureboy

Is there a way to buy the game online (ie, downloading the files)? It
usually takes weeks for items I have ordered from US to arrive here
(Turkey), and then there's the whole issue of it clearing customs,
etc. I would much rather pay for the game, then be able to download
the CR-ROM contents.

peter

"Boluc Papuccuoglu" <bolucPERIODpapuccuoglu@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr> wrote in
message news:t66o215acf5bkpf03gph42tubm6r4d76c9@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:06:28 -0500, "Kent Tessman"
> <kent@remove-to-reply.generalcoffee.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm pleased to finally be able to announce the release of Future Boy!.
This
> >interactive superhero-comic-book adventure features more superheroing,
> >supervillainy, and cape-wearing than any game since, well, Green Lantern
> >Tetris.
> >
> >Everything, including a trailer, screenshots, and a downloadable demo,
can
> >be found here:
> >
> >http://www.generalcoffee.com/futureboy
>
> Is there a way to buy the game online (ie, downloading the files)? It
> usually takes weeks for items I have ordered from US to arrive here
> (Turkey), and then there's the whole issue of it clearing customs,
> etc. I would much rather pay for the game, then be able to download
> the CR-ROM contents.

I asked the same question when the game first came out and they said they
were thinking about it but I never heard anything further. I'd still be
interested in buying the game on a pay to download basis.

Looking at the site again, it mentions separate downloads for Palm and
Pocket PC but all I would want is the Windows version and the manual (unless
the goodies and hidden treats were really interesting).

Regards,
Peter.

"Boluc Papuccuoglu" <bolucPERIODpapuccuoglu@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr> wrote in
message news:t66o215acf5bkpf03gph42tubm6r4d76c9@4ax.com...
> Is there a way to buy the game online (ie, downloading the files)? It
> usually takes weeks for items I have ordered from US to arrive here
> (Turkey), and then there's the whole issue of it clearing customs,
> etc. I would much rather pay for the game, then be able to download
> the CR-ROM contents.

The idea of online delivery has come up before and has been given serious
consideration. The biggest drawback to a downloadable version of the full
game is really the size of the potential download. Future Boy! is a big
game: even without the various goodies on the CD-ROM, the Windows-only
distribution still exceeds 250 MB. It might be possible to create a smaller
package by omitting things like animation and voices (as the handheld-only
downloadable versions do), but then players would be experiencing a
stripped-down version of the game, which from the game-designer viewpoint is
fairly undesirable.

When dealing with international distribution--especially on a relatively
independent scale--there's no ideal blanket solution to cover every
territory. The current arrangement is the best so far for handling the
various aspects of ordering, international payment processing, production,
and international distribution/shipping.

That said, suggestions are welcome. The way the game is distributed isn't
set in stone, and isn't limited to any one method. I'd hate for anyone who
wanted to play the game to be unable to play it.

--Kent

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:39:13 -0500, Kent Tessman wrote:

> That said, suggestions are welcome. The way the game is distributed isn't
> set in stone, and isn't limited to any one method. I'd hate for anyone who
> wanted to play the game to be unable to play it.

The ideal answer to distributing large files to more than one person is
Bittorrent. Unfortunately your product is not free to all comers; only
those who have a purchased copy should be allowed to join the swarm.

Alternatively you could create a locked version and present a torrent of
that, and purchasers could get a key. But unless you expect at least a
dozen people to download per week, bittorrent isn't going to help out much.

peter

"Kent Tessman" <kent@remove-to-reply.generalcoffee.com> wrote in message
> "Boluc Papuccuoglu" <bolucPERIODpapuccuoglu@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr> wrote
in
> message news:t66o215acf5bkpf03gph42tubm6r4d76c9@4ax.com...
> > Is there a way to buy the game online (ie, downloading the files)? It
> > usually takes weeks for items I have ordered from US to arrive here
> > (Turkey), and then there's the whole issue of it clearing customs,
> > etc. I would much rather pay for the game, then be able to download
> > the CR-ROM contents.
>
> The idea of online delivery has come up before and has been given serious
> consideration. The biggest drawback to a downloadable version of the full
> game is really the size of the potential download. Future Boy! is a big
> game: even without the various goodies on the CD-ROM, the Windows-only
> distribution still exceeds 250 MB. It might be possible to create a
smaller
> package by omitting things like animation and voices (as the handheld-only
> downloadable versions do), but then players would be experiencing a
> stripped-down version of the game, which from the game-designer viewpoint
is
> fairly undesirable.
>
> When dealing with international distribution--especially on a relatively
> independent scale--there's no ideal blanket solution to cover every
> territory. The current arrangement is the best so far for handling the
> various aspects of ordering, international payment processing, production,
> and international distribution/shipping.
>
> That said, suggestions are welcome. The way the game is distributed isn't
> set in stone, and isn't limited to any one method. I'd hate for anyone
who
> wanted to play the game to be unable to play it.
>
> --Kent

I would prefer to download the full version. I don't have a problem with the
size of the file even though I'm on dialup, it's just a matter of time as I
get "unlimited" downloads included in my monthly fee.

Of course, it may be a problem to set up at your end if only a few people
would use the option.

Just my 2c.

Regards,
Peter.