[Announce] Guild demo v1.0

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hello,

Announcing the release of a demo version of Guild, a new roguelike.

The main gimmick in Guild is that, instead of playing a solo
adventurer, you control an entire group. At any given time you have
direct control of one of the characters; the rest will follow you and
make themselves useful (attack nearby monsters, heal wounded party
members...) You can give the other characters orders ("follow me!"
"shoot that goblin!" "run for your life!"), or you can switch to
directly controlling one of them.

So far I've finished a demo version, which only includes one dungeon
level but is still quite entertaining. You can get Windows binaries at
the Guild homepage below.

DOWNLOAD
http://guildgame.com

SCREENSHOTS
http://guildgame.com/screenshots.htm

Enjoy,

Antoine
mail@guildgame.com

-------------------------

P.S. Guild is not a *band variant, but it does borrow some code from
Angband Specifically, portions of the code related to the ASCII
display, Windows interface, text input, file management, random number
generation, memory management, messages, and screenshots. However, all
actual gameplay code has been removed and rewritten from scratch,
including pathfinding, LOS, and AI.

I have kept the Angband 'COPYING' notice, and the Angband Dev Team are
acknowledged on the splash screen at the start of the game and in the
'ACKNOWLEDGMENTS' file. If any of the Angband developers / maintainers
have issues with these acknowledgments, please let me know and I will
do my best to amend them.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Antoine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Announcing the release of a demo version of Guild, a new roguelike.
>
> The main gimmick in Guild is that, instead of playing a solo
> adventurer, you control an entire group. At any given time you have
> direct control of one of the characters; the rest will follow you and
> make themselves useful (attack nearby monsters, heal wounded party
> members...) You can give the other characters orders ("follow me!"
> "shoot that goblin!" "run for your life!"), or you can switch to
> directly controlling one of them.
>
> So far I've finished a demo version, which only includes one dungeon
> level but is still quite entertaining. You can get Windows binaries at
> the Guild homepage below.

OMG! I almost wet my pants when I tried this! It is absolutely brilliant!

The indirect control over the other party members works really well and
it is most definately still a roguelike. Reminds me of the good old
party based rpgs that I used to play!

Well done Antoine!

> DOWNLOAD
> http://guildgame.com
>
> SCREENSHOTS
> http://guildgame.com/screenshots.htm
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Antoine
> mail@guildgame.com
>
> -------------------------

[snip not a band variant]

Best regards,
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> Announcing the release of a demo version of Guild, a new roguelike.

[snip]

Small bugfix, new version posted.

Björn Bergström wrote:

> Antoine wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Announcing the release of a demo version of Guild, a new roguelike.
>>
>> The main gimmick in Guild is that, instead of playing a solo
>> adventurer, you control an entire group. At any given time you have
>> direct control of one of the characters; the rest will follow you and
>> make themselves useful (attack nearby monsters, heal wounded party
>> members...) You can give the other characters orders ("follow me!"
>> "shoot that goblin!" "run for your life!"), or you can switch to
>> directly controlling one of them.
>>
>> So far I've finished a demo version, which only includes one dungeon
>> level but is still quite entertaining. You can get Windows binaries at
>> the Guild homepage below.
>>

> OMG! I almost wet my pants when I tried this! It is absolutely brilliant!
>
> The indirect control over the other party members works really well and
> it is most definately still a roguelike. Reminds me of the good old
> party based rpgs that I used to play!
>
> Well done Antoine!
>
>> DOWNLOAD
>> http://guildgame.com
>>
>> SCREENSHOTS
>> http://guildgame.com/screenshots.htm
>>
>> Enjoy,
>>
>> Antoine mail@guildgame.com
>>
>> -------------------------
>>
> [snip not a band variant]
>

> Best regards,
> Björn Bergström
> roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
> dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]

I have to concur, that is a great concept... well done. Its interesting
to see how you've approached it :)

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com

RL LINKS:
http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond/beyondrelatedlinks_20041117.html

"Antoine" <mail@guildgame.com> wrote in message

> The main gimmick in Guild is that, instead of playing a solo
> adventurer, you control an entire group. At any given time you have
> direct control of one of the characters; the rest will follow you and
> make themselves useful (attack nearby monsters, heal wounded party
> members...) You can give the other characters orders ("follow me!"
> "shoot that goblin!" "run for your life!"), or you can switch to
> directly controlling one of them.

Grah! My reaction was not quite as notable at Bjorn's (or messy), but I'm
pretty equally impressed by what I've seen! You've got a very interesting
idea here coupled with a very interesting game genre. I absolutely love
watching my mage whip magic arrows while I pummel goblins, while my priest
is keeping all of our hitpoints up. The teamwork present is just...a really
great feeling. I recall rushing into a room packed with dart-toting goblins,
entering a 4 on 4 brawl between them and us. We lost our priest along the
way, but it was a worthy sacrifice, methinks. :)

Excellent stuff, Antoine. Keep us posted on the updates!

--
Davis Chord

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

In article <4439a7af.0412022140.670cc864@posting.google.com>,
mail@guildgame.com says...
> Hello,
>
> Announcing the release of a demo version of Guild, a new roguelike.
>
> The main gimmick in Guild is that, instead of playing a solo
> adventurer, you control an entire group. At any given time you have
> direct control of one of the characters; the rest will follow you and
> make themselves useful (attack nearby monsters, heal wounded party
> members...) You can give the other characters orders ("follow me!"
> "shoot that goblin!" "run for your life!"), or you can switch to
> directly controlling one of them.

I didn't give it enough play (I just can't get into ASCII roguelikes!)
but it seems a very good and well-implemented idea.

I must play a bit more to get past the stage where the AI is smarter
than me, though...

- Gerry Quinn