[announce] Vulture's - 1.9.4

Vulture's - 1.9.4
-----------------

http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/vultures/

This is the Vulture's Eye and Vulture's claw graphical isometric 2.5D
interface for NetHack and SLASH'EM. This is a fork of the now dead
Falcon's Eye.

Changelog since Vulture's 1.9.3
-------------------------------

* automated building, and better versioning for it
* ignore make clean failures
* supporting code for new graphics
* new graphics
* upgrade from slashem 0.0.7e7 development, to 0.0.7e7f1 stable
* new graphics
* typo correction in README
* supporting code for new graphics
* dont remove html docs, as they are usefull online
* code changes for new graphics
* new graphics
* oops, forgot to copy the music
* added release strategy as plan within /doc
* rename .txt to .rst within docs
* legacy commented out code, unused
* seperate music directory
* aliasing for oggenc
* create a new repository for enhanced media
* move music data
* fix the issue of items still showing even if picked up
* fix the DISPLAY_LAYERS issue, but not perfectly, see full note
* html footer for build-docs
* add contents to unix build doc
* should never clean by default
* more complete doc building
* build doc, referal stubs
* unix build documentation
* fix #17: Incorrect build instructions in the Makefile
* oops, forgot to add versioning template
* updated dll tree for win32
* build flags for win32 versioning
* better executable naming for the variants
* easier versioning
* removal of version number mentioning in all docs
* for some reason it was unlocking, but never actually locking to
start with
* ensure pallette restoration after splash or intro
* update the nethack logo for compatibility
* script to make oggs from mids
* remove TODO, all moved to mantis
* out with the old, in with the new (icons)
* new icons
* start playing intro music just a wee bit earlier
* get caption ready for icon inclusion
* allow music to be switched off in options file
* slashem didn't know about the ogg
* allow win32 builds access to sounds and music
* blank screen after pallette refresh
* enforce name asking, this is primarily a graphical interface afterall
* reminder in TODO, regarding Claw sfx
* add reminder to TODO about music editing, the delay irritates me
* pallete restoration side-effect removed
* temporarily add a TODO file, till i can move all the info into mantis
* redundant options removed
* better looking default options
* SDL_mixer for win32 builds
* the almighty sound system move, sdl_mixer now required, again this
will break win32 builds until tweaked
* version id is reliant on date.h
* windows build should use moved, globalised, common, include location :)
* use port id as window caption
* better (but not best) port id
* hilite tame monsters (pets)
* tile special properties required to be available at runtime
* generalise some more variant specific code/comments/text
* move vultures include files out of variant trees into common area
where they belong. * NOTE: This change will break non-unix builds untill
they too are tweaked.
* ensure that a background (floor) tile is always drawn
* added a TODO marker, regarding passage drawing
* it's only used by map drawing functions jaakko
* friendlier foonix devmake
* rampant ^M removal
* fix issue with logo not displaying in win32 builds
* make damn sure windows users dont switch on the sound and
incinerate the multiverse in the process
* the quick hack to allow windows version to compile, should not
remove foonix users' sound
* remove artifacts support for now, it is not mature enough a system yet
* support for DISPLAY_LAYERS is still incomplete, remove as the default
* default lit_corridor to off until claw tile issue can be resolved
* visible ingame versioning
* it should build, regardless of cleanups' success
* add vultures to the standard win32 gcc build for slashem
* add vultures to the standard win32 gcc build for nethack
* updated splash screens
* due to falcons eye brokenness accross platforms disable music and
sound by default until I can stabilise this, must be done prior to the
next release
* how did that get in there ?
* there is no need for tty to be built in slashem either
* avoid those ugly win32 build messages for dup DLB
* win32 build files
* required win32 dll
* removal of an odd piece of code that depended on tty being there
* vultures shouldn't bother with tty aswell, it's redundant
* tentatively remove system dependant code
* update artifacts' artifacts to be compliant with new artifacts version
* closed artifact #3
* another nethack graphics patch
* remove win32 style newlines from jtp_win.c
* add artifact #7
* artifact adjustment (#6) to ensure correct format for null
assignment, see artifacts' artifact #17
* add artifact #6
* add artifact #5 and some priority
* remove last known vestages of directx functionality
* completed and closed artifact #4
* add artifact #4
* artifacts default command is an enduser setting and should not be
imposed by the project
* added artifact #3
* better dev building
* added artifact #2
* added artifact #1
* initialise artifacts
* some new nethack graphics
* layers uses cmaps not glyphs
* add preliminary Vulture's Claw intro image
* cater for differing Vulture's Claw logo
* use memory_glyph for layers
* Guidebook.txt is generated, remove from repo
* code alignment issues, more visible nesting
* FreeBSD
* compilation line tweak
* ensure Makefile creation within metaMakefile
* Alchemy Smock does not appear in Slash'EM
* meta Makefile for development ease
* Merge Vulture's Claw repository (Slash'EM 0.0.7E7)
* prepare for the claw

Clive Crous <clive@darkarts.co.za> writes:
> Vulture's - 1.9.4
> -----------------

> * vultures shouldn't bother with tty aswell, it's redundant

So those Unix users who want to use the Vulture's interface when
playing locally, but tty when connecting remotely (X doesn't handle
latency well) will need two installations? This seems a retrograde
step.

(Disclaimer: I've not used Vulture's. But that's what this looks to be
saying.)

: "Hello. Well, that was the sound of Roger's Wah-Wah Rabbits, you heard :
: them eating endives there, that's very cheap at this time of the year. :
: [...] But now we're going to talk about shirts." -- Bonzo Dog Band :

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Changelog since Vulture's 1.9.3
> -------------------------------
>
> * automated building, and better versioning for it
> * ignore make clean failures

What is the rational for this? It seems relatively inocous.

> * rename .txt to .rst within docs

This I can't see any reason for at all, please eludcidate.

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> Clive Crous <clive@darkarts.co.za> writes:
>
>>Vulture's - 1.9.4
>>-----------------
>

>> * vultures shouldn't bother with tty aswell, it's redundant
>

> So those Unix users who want to use the Vulture's interface when
> playing locally, but tty when connecting remotely (X doesn't handle
> latency well) will need two installations? This seems a retrograde
> step.

Ah the joys of badly phrased repository commit messages, my fault, when
taken out of context.

the full patch is here :
http://www.darkarts.co.za/repository/vultures/_darcs/patches/20050605182304-eb905-1520275ec916c39c63ef5510f8f9895e738b3cea.gz

The Falcon's eye source was relying on some tty functionality for it's
own message display which I found distastfull. Tty interface *can* and
*does* still work, it is just switched off by default to prevent
developers using tty funtions as a 'matter of course'.

The 'redundant' part was simply my, admittedly bad, way of saying that
it was no longer a *neccessity* for the vulture's interface for tty to
be built in.

Clive

chuck wrote:
> Changelog since Vulture's 1.9.3
>
>>-------------------------------
>>
>> * automated building, and better versioning for it
>> * ignore make clean failures

I have a meta make-file in place that governs nethack as well as slashem
(in the full source package) if you use 'make clean' it calls nethack's
'make clean' followed by slashem's 'make clean'. If you never setup
nethack's build system in the first place, only slashem, when it cant
find the nethack makefile it will now still clean the slashem source area.

> What is the rational for this? It seems relatively inocous.
>

>> * rename .txt to .rst within docs

Again, this is for the Vulture's eye documentation. I am progressivly
moving all *vultures* documentation, manuals etc to ReStructured Text
(ReST) format so that I can generate latex,html,pdf or plain text (the
..rst source document itself) from a single document.

As an example, I give the installition instructions:

ReST source:
http://www.darkarts.co.za/repository/vultures/doc/INSTALL_unix.rst

generated html:
http://www.darkarts.co.za/repository/vultures/doc/INSTALL_unix.html

Clive

> This I can't see any reason for at all, please eludcidate.

Clive Crous <clive@darkarts.co.za> writes:
> Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> > Clive Crous <clive@darkarts.co.za> writes:
> >
> >>Vulture's - 1.9.4
> >>-----------------
> >
> >> * vultures shouldn't bother with tty aswell, it's redundant
> >
> > So those Unix users who want to use the Vulture's interface when
> > playing locally, but tty when connecting remotely (X doesn't handle
> > latency well) will need two installations? This seems a retrograde
> > step.
>
> Ah the joys of badly phrased repository commit messages, my fault, when
> taken out of context. [...] Tty interface *can* and
> *does* still work, it is just switched off by default to prevent
> developers using tty funtions as a 'matter of course'.

Good to know :) Cheers.