Annoyed/Concerned with windows 10

Ronald_37

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
Windows 10 every once in a while says "Found malware" but I run scans and there is no viruses or malware at all on my device. It does it on my 2-in-1 tablet, laptop and gaming PC which I use for just gaming only and is rarely connected to the internet because I mostly play games offline. I think it is a bunch of BS and it is some kind of gimmick, but I am still concerned about it. I really want to make sure my pc's are not compromised some how. what are your guy's thoughts on this

Solution
The key is identifying the source of the "Found malware" warning.

Could be some third party "crapware" that slipped in via some other software installation.

Does the notice provide any error messages, codes, links, or anything like that? An offer to sell a fix, some product to cleanout the malware? Figure you would mention that but need to ask anyway.

Barring some immediate way of finding the source you may have to stop as many applications as possible from starting up at boot time. Wait and see if the notices stop.

Begin adding back applications until the notice returns - that would be the offending application. Could be caused by an application that only runs at certain times: e.g., a backup or some application's routine...

Ralston18

Titan
The key is identifying the source of the "Found malware" warning.

Could be some third party "crapware" that slipped in via some other software installation.

Does the notice provide any error messages, codes, links, or anything like that? An offer to sell a fix, some product to cleanout the malware? Figure you would mention that but need to ask anyway.

Barring some immediate way of finding the source you may have to stop as many applications as possible from starting up at boot time. Wait and see if the notices stop.

Begin adding back applications until the notice returns - that would be the offending application. Could be caused by an application that only runs at certain times: e.g., a backup or some application's routine attempt to phone home to report and update.

You can also use Task Manager and Performance Monitor to observe what all is running at any given time. Look for processes and services that do not correspond with what you are doing or otherwise seem to be unexplained.

Is there a common game or application on the tablet, laptop, and gaming PC? Any thing like that would narrow the possible culprits.

Could also be a false positive warning via Windows but I would expect that Windows would provide more information. But rather than being wrong, Windows is "just saying" sans any real information or explanation.

Solution