[SOLVED] Annoying crunch and squeak sound with brand new Asus laptop

Apr 18, 2016
I've had my ASUS TUF Dash for a couple of days now, and the "Y" key has a really annoying squeak and sometimes crunch when pressed. I've tried blowing under it quite a few times but that doesn't help. The key mostly works but sometimes needs a little extra force to register. It's mostly an annoyance. Also, I've never eaten food or anything like that near this laptop so I can't imagine what it could be other than a defect. All of the other keys sound as expected.

What could I do? Is this worth an RMA (and would they even fix it under warranty?)

Solution
Put the old RAM back. As long as you didn't scratch it up. I doubt Amazon would care or notice.

I remember reading about a big stink in the UK with Amazon. When it was revealed. They're just dumping millions of returned items into landfills. Rather than bothering to resell them.

The stuff you return will usually end up either in a landfill or sold in random pallets to liquidation companies. They deal with an incomprehensible amount of goods being sold and returned everyday. At most they probably have enough time to check the return items are in the box and not mangled. I'd be surprised if they even check serial numbers regularly.

Some items may end up under Amazon's Woot or Amazon Outlet. If they work and have their accessories...
Put the old RAM back. As long as you didn't scratch it up. I doubt Amazon would care or notice.

I remember reading about a big stink in the UK with Amazon. When it was revealed. They're just dumping millions of returned items into landfills. Rather than bothering to resell them.

The stuff you return will usually end up either in a landfill or sold in random pallets to liquidation companies. They deal with an incomprehensible amount of goods being sold and returned everyday. At most they probably have enough time to check the return items are in the box and not mangled. I'd be surprised if they even check serial numbers regularly.

Some items may end up under Amazon's Woot or Amazon Outlet. If they work and have their accessories still. A lot more just end up with resellers.

Now, if it's a third party reseller on Amazon. They might be more diligent. But as long as it looks nice and is in the box with all original accessories. They wouldn't know that you upgraded the RAM at some point.

Solution