Annoying Graphical Glitch. Monitor or Graphics Card?

8BitCookie

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Hello all. I have an annoying graphical glitch that has been pestering me ever since I got my monitor and graphics card. I don't know if it is my monitor or graphics card doing this, and I have tried updating all drivers regarding my monitor and GPU. This really only happens on certain programs. When playing CS:GO, it began to do it and I Alt+Tab'd out and my desktop had no error. I hope someone helps me with my problem.

Picture (i was watching a cs:go pro match when it happened in this picture):
oqsPZMl.png

GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming OC Edition
Monitor: ACER G236HL

Solution
That looks like an artifact, do you have your card overclocked? if that were the monitor, it would show up in other games in similar spots. if your card is not overclocked and your warranty is still valid, i would speak to MSI, as they are pretty helpful, and may be able to replace your card. This is very unlikely, but hard drive corruption is a slight possibility. I would check with MSI first.
I hope that was of use.
That looks like an artifact, do you have your card overclocked? if that were the monitor, it would show up in other games in similar spots. if your card is not overclocked and your warranty is still valid, i would speak to MSI, as they are pretty helpful, and may be able to replace your card. This is very unlikely, but hard drive corruption is a slight possibility. I would check with MSI first.
I hope that was of use.

Solution

8BitCookie

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks Robert! I do have my GPU overclocked so I ended up doing more digging into these "artifacts" and it turns out that overclocking the GPU does cause the error. I have now fixed the issue. Thanks once again!

markokolic

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

How did you fix it..?

markokolic

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

Ty a lot for answering...and pls quick 2 question can underclocking be done with MSI Afterburner and can these artifacts cause BSOD's?

yes sometimes if it is very unstable it can just crash, also heat can cause BSODs. MSI afterburner will allow under clocking, but if you have artifacts at stock, I would just return the card, as technically under clocking is still over clocking in the eyes of a warranty.