Question Annoying high pitch sound from HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF ?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Hi, I have an HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF wich is a relatively compact. space is limited.

when i plug the electricity cord in, there is a high pitch noise i hear even if the pc is turned off.
when i plug it out of the outlet, the noise stops.
i wonder what causes this sound? the mobo or the power supply?

I happen to have a loose Antec CP 850 that is silent. could i unplug the HP power supply and use my Antec one instead?

Also on this mobo there are only 3 sata port . it causes me a problem because one is used by my DVD and i also use 3 x HDD. how could i solve this problem?
Could i buy an extra long sata cable and have it come out on top of the case, changing the hdd i want to use everytime?

Third question, i have some 120 mm noctua loose . is it possible to plug them to the mobo so that they only are working when the pc is powered on? if yes where do i plug the fans?

thx for your help

Most likely the power supply is causing the noise.

If the Antec you have fits in the case and has the right power connections for the HP motherboard, sure no reason why you can't use it.

Not enough SATA ports, you can buy a USB DVD drive, or get a sata expansion card for the PCIe slot.

For the fans, not sure what you mean about them working only when the PC is powered on, the are connected to the computer power so won't work unless the computer is turned on even if they are not connected to the headers on the motherboard. If your motherboard does not have extra fan headers, you can just plug them into the power supply but they will just run at their stock speed the whole time.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Most likely the power supply is causing the noise.
I agree.
I happen to have a loose Antec CP 850 that is silent. could i unplug the HP power supply and use my Antec one instead?
HP uses a proprietary PSU connector that your Antec most likely won't have. So unless you know a bit about electronics to cut the cables and adapt the HP PSU connector to the Antec one, you can't replace it.
Also on this mobo there are only 3 sata port . it causes me a problem because one is used by my DVD and i also use 3 x HDD. how could i solve this problem?
Could i buy an extra long sata cable and have it come out on top of the case, changing the hdd i want to use everytime?
Like hang said, get a PCIe expansion for your SATA limitations. You could get a long cable to use it as an "external", but you need to turn off the PC before you switch HDDs (they're not plug and play with the PC turned on).
Third question, i have some 120 mm noctua loose . is it possible to plug them to the mobo so that they only are working when the pc is powered on? if yes where do i plug the fans?
These SFF prebuilts usually don't have enough fan headers for additional units, and I doubt the 120mm fan fits inside the SFF case.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi cool ok is there a PCIe expansion for your this pc?

i like the long pci cable , how long can it be an do you have a good bang for buck tu suggest on amazon.ca?

i can place them outside with tape . does this pc allow fan headers as you call it ? 1 2 or more?
tx
here si how is plugged th psu would the antec fit or the adapter prob you talk about is there? tx
View: https://imgur.com/bEB9FNi

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
hi cool ok is there a PCIe expansion for your this pc?
Just search for PCIe Sata expansion and look for one that's for small form PCs.

i like the long pci cable , how long can it be an do you have a good bang for buck tu suggest on amazon.ca?
You don't need this with the expansion card.

does this pc allow fan headers as you call it ? 1 2 or more?
From what I saw, it only has 1 fan header besides the one for the CPU. You can connect one fan here and use PSU SATA/Molex to 3 or 4 pin adapter if you need more and you got free power connectors available.