Annoying Linux Quake4 problem

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Ok so here is the deal. After I built my new computer, i went out and bought a copy of Q4 so I could put my new video card to good use. The weird part though, is that when I try to play Q4 under Linux, it keeps asking me for the cd key. After I enter my cd key it will be fine for a few days or even a week, and then the next time i load Q4 it asks for the cd key yet again. This doesn't happen to me in windows and I think it is rather odd that something like this would keep happening in Linux. Other than that, the game plays wonderfully on my new card.

I tried googling for a problem similar to this, but I haven't seen anyone with this problem. Have you guys experienced this? Or can you tell me what you think the cause might be?

I have made the following observation. The cdkey you enter is stored as what appears to be a hashed value in a plaintext file called quake4key in ~/.quake4/q4base/ . I hope that may be of some help.

Thanks.

-Zorak

nxcmp

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I'm not sure but just guessing here, its possible that where you key is being stored (file) is being overwritten or changes, i would figure out which one it is and make it read only, and again I'm not sure but I would do some searches about it.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Notice that i said absolutely nothing about running Quake4 under WINE. Kindly take your trolling elsewhere; we are trying to get real work done here.

-Zorak

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
your you, then you su. program copies what's in root's .config into your directory, (because original copy was root's due to faulty filedescriptor)?! I'll never mention it again.