Annoying things about Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRRAE

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This is really more for fun.
I have really tried to give windows 8 a go, I have found many things I like, it's swift, clean and Im ready to give it a chance, but I have found many more which annoys me.
List your annoying things about Windows 8 or post some sollutions if you have any.

Getting to start menu when using a dual screen.
I have dual monitors, the main one in front of me and one to my left. With a single monitor I can quickly wizz the mouse to the bottom left of the screen to return to the start screen.
With 2 monitors that would cause the mouse to move to the other monitor. I have to now, slowly and carefully, move the mouse to the very bottom left of my main monitor without drifting on to the other screen to get the start desktop up.

Video thumb nails but no file names
I tried to use the Video player, after browsing to the location where my Futurama DVD Rips are located Im faced with a screen full of the very similar thumb nail of the Planet Express ship from the show's introduction and no file name. To find the video I want I have to hover the mouse over each icon for 2 seconds to get a description.

Closing current application
I like to keep things tidy and close applications when Im finished. The way to close applications is to top right of the screen which will show your previous application and a history of them. There you can right click and close on the one you dont need. If you want to close your current application, you have to go to a previous appliation of the start screen and then from there close your unwanted application.

Does anyone else found annoyances about Windows 8?

I have really nothing much to add at this point yet a wish that this thread be kept to sensible and constructive criticism and solutions and not turned into a rant fest.
There is potential for what are probably easily over come issues to be ironed out here lets not waste it.

Mactronix :hello:

SRRAE

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

hahah,
The left monitor is proped up against the corner of the wall since the the stand broke.
It also means turning my head, which is exhausting.

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

I was testing a dual-screen setup and even triple-screen (but not Eyefinity) in the months before I got my RTM copy and I find it just way easier to get used to navigating around the UI with keyboard short-cuts. Laptop users have their shortcuts on the touchpad, tablet users have full touch and desktop users are rather forced to act like power users most of the time. Not that I'm complaining, because Windows 7 actually made me very lazy in terms of GUI navigation and finding stuff.

Honestly, just use the Windows key on your keyboard. Or use the Start link in the Charms bar to the right. Or invest in a touch mouse when Microsoft/Logitech launch their new peripherals. I have a friend using a G500 mouse and has bound the Windows key to a key on his mouse to zip around Modern UI a bit faster.

Edit: Also, you can right-click in the desktop > Screen resolution. Move your screen on the left a little higher up so the bottom corners don't meet. Click Apply and now you can swipe your mouse down and not have to worry about it running onto the other one.

I used to be like you as well, closing apps that didn't need to be open. While I was reviewing 8 I found that keeping those apps open and idle for more than five minutes sent them into a sort of sleep state, consuming less CPU cycles when I wasn't working with them. I no longer close apps compulsively anymore since I have enough RAM and when the system runs out of free memory or needs more, it just shuts down the last-used apps one by one.

As for closing apps, you have three very quick options:

1) Click top of the full-screen app and drag down
2) ALT + F4
3) Using the task manager in desktop mode in the "View Less" mode shows you which Modern UI and desktop apps are open and you can close them with two clicks

Status
Not open for further replies.