Annoying Weird Situation Where My Phone Gets a Call And Makes My Internet Lag So Hard

Jan 16, 2019
Ok so my phone whenever it gets a call my internet just gets destroyed or something, i would DC from everything when using my computer. Im wondering if a cell phone signal can interfere with a modems signals. I tried everything like switching from the 2.4 ghz signal into the 5ghz channel and that didn't work so i tried getting into my modems settings and turning off the 2.4ghz signal and that also didn't do anything i also dont have wifi calling so i don't if turning it on even helps if i even had the chance, i also tried my friends phone just to see if calling someone messes with my internet signal and his didn't kill my internet. Thanks if you guys can theorize a fix or something cause im really bad a networking.

Solution
The only thought I had recently was that the router has some cheaper parts that are not shielded that are running at a similar frequency as your phone does for calls so when you get a call it causes it to freak out and thus the router. Not the WiF per say but maybe another part in the device.

Your friend, was he also on Cricket? He had a different phone so even if on Cricket it could have been using a different/newer modem and using a different enough band to not cause the same issue.

https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2014/03/cell-phones-and-cable-signals-interference-can-happen

Mind you this is pretty old (2014) but its something to keep in mind and maybe use as a tool for talking to Cox.

Just a side not, my personal...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Who is your internet service provider? Also, who is your cellular service provider?

Yes, wi-fi calling, that will impact network performance and could explain the impact when you get calls.

This is very likely not signal interference between the phone and your network.

Jan 16, 2019
My ISP is cox and my carrier is Cricket and i don't have an option to turn or wifi calling if it helps my phone is an lg stylo the 1st one and the impact of whenever i get a call it just makes me get disconnected in online sessions like gaming or streaming videos.

Jan 16, 2019

I tried that before like just using lte and it still interfered with my internet and no there isn't any other cricket users here either.

So everybody here suspect your cell call is going through WIFI instead, the so called WIFI calling, behind your back, unbeknown to you. That is the most likely scenario.

If cellular signal is interfering, as unlikely as that is, u can always open your WIFI control panel and stare at the SIGNAL TO NOISE number, then make your call, and if that number jumps up, then wow. Now that is if cellular affects WIFI directly, your ETHERNET connection still should be OK.

Lots of tests u can do, and fun for us geeks, dunno about you.

Jan 16, 2019

I can tell you this is not fun at all, its super frustrating i dont have an option for wifi calling because my phone is an older phone, its kinda crazy because before there was no problem and now its just so maddening. i feel like this is just cursed.

The weird thing is the 5GHz also being affected. I could see the 2.4GHz as Crickets LTE uses AT&T which is in the 2300MHz band so it can be close plus the 2.4GHz band is heavily used by many products.

How is your PC connected? By hard wire or wireless? If wireless, if you connect it with a hard wire does this still happen?

Which modem do have?

Jan 16, 2019

i have a Panoramic modem/router and i use with the Ethernet connected.

Jan 16, 2019

Even turning off the wifi channels on the modem/router didn't seem to fix it ill think ill call them but i think my phone is doomed or something idk....

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seems like you need to swap out your ISP provided cable modem/router combo (a.k.a. gateway) and/or your cellphone. Based on the behaviors documented above, the issue seems be between these two devices, specifically.

Other phones don't cause the issue. This is definitely a head-scratcher.

The only thought I had recently was that the router has some cheaper parts that are not shielded that are running at a similar frequency as your phone does for calls so when you get a call it causes it to freak out and thus the router. Not the WiF per say but maybe another part in the device.

Your friend, was he also on Cricket? He had a different phone so even if on Cricket it could have been using a different/newer modem and using a different enough band to not cause the same issue.

https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2014/03/cell-phones-and-cable-signals-interference-can-happen

Mind you this is pretty old (2014) but its something to keep in mind and maybe use as a tool for talking to Cox.

Just a side not, my personal suggestion would be to get rid of Coxs provided modem/router and move to a Surfboard and router. Its a much better combo, you will probably get better overall performance from your internet and WiFi and you will have a more secure setup with more control as well.

Or change your phone.

Solution