Anoter reason for maintaining good piety

definitely spoily

I have just found out that sickness can be cured by sacrificing at the
altar. I was going for a precrowning (Lev9 HE Merchant, lawful altar,
VD:6) via livesaccing and was incidentally hit by a green worm. "You
feel sick." The prospects were not good as the final fit could have
killed me (I have acquired Healing, though). After I sacrificed the
next monster I recieved the message "Corellius seems to be very close
to you. Your health improves." and the sickness was gone. I didn't
even pray.

I don't know if it's a common knowledge, but I have not seen any
references to gods healing sickness in the Guidebook. If anyone has met
this before, please tell what piety level it takes.

By the way, precrowning is so much of a lottery - this session yielded
the Black Tome. Very annoying.

ps. I hope I'm doing everything right - this is my second post here :)

Ilya Barygin wrote:
> definitely spoily
>

> 5
>

> 10
>

> 15
>

> 20

[snip]

> I don't know if it's a common knowledge, but I have not seen any
> references to gods healing sickness in the Guidebook. If anyone has
met
> this before, please tell what piety level it takes.
>
> By the way, precrowning is so much of a lottery - this session
yielded
> the Black Tome. Very annoying.

I know what you mean...recently I received the Tome with a Hurthling
Monk. *Useless* junk... Thank you for rewarding me for my devotion...

> ps. I hope I'm doing everything right - this is my second post here
:)

maybe just a wee bit more spoiler space...

"RecRanger" <spamphobia@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Ilya Barygin wrote:
>> definitely spoily
>>

>> 5
>>

>> 10
>>

>> 15
>>

>> 20
>>

> [snip]
>>
>> I don't know if it's a common knowledge, but I have not seen any
>> references to gods healing sickness in the Guidebook. If anyone has
> met
>> this before, please tell what piety level it takes.
>>
>> By the way, precrowning is so much of a lottery - this session
> yielded
>> the Black Tome. Very annoying.
>
> I know what you mean...recently I received the Tome with a Hurthling
> Monk. *Useless* junk... Thank you for rewarding me for my devotion...

The black tome can actually be a very useful item if you use it in a
certain way: I certainly wouldn't label it as useless or the worst of the
artifacts - that place I reserve for the Gloves of Eternal Peace.

anxious triffid wrote:
> "RecRanger" <spamphobia@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>Ilya Barygin wrote:
>>
>>>definitely spoily
>>>

>>>5
>>>

>>>10
>>>

>>>15
>>>

>>>20
>>>

>>[snip]
>>
>>>I don't know if it's a common knowledge, but I have not seen any
>>>references to gods healing sickness in the Guidebook. If anyone has
>>
>>met
>>
>>>this before, please tell what piety level it takes.
>>>
>>>By the way, precrowning is so much of a lottery - this session
>>
>>yielded
>>
>>>the Black Tome. Very annoying.
>>
>>I know what you mean...recently I received the Tome with a Hurthling
>>Monk. *Useless* junk... Thank you for rewarding me for my devotion...
>>

> The black tome can actually be a very useful item if you use it in a
> certain way: I certainly wouldn't label it as useless or the worst of the
> artifacts - that place I reserve for the Gloves of Eternal Peace.

Can you enlighten me for this one?

-Yan

> The black tome can actually be a very useful item if you use it in a
> certain way: I certainly wouldn't label it as useless or the worst of the
> artifacts - that place I reserve for the Gloves of Eternal Peace.

Gloves of eternal peace are really nice, particularly in the early
game, so long as you have the to-hit score to negate their penalty.

Erik Piper wrote:
> bork bork bork Yan Zhang bork 4:20:43 AM bork 3/2/2005 bork bork:
>
> > anxious triffid wrote:
> > > "RecRanger" <spamphobia@yahoo.com> wrote in

Hurthling

> > > The black tome can actually be a very useful item if you use it
in a
> > > certain way: I certainly wouldn't label it as useless or the
worst of the
> > > artifacts - that place I reserve for the Gloves of Eternal Peace.
> >
> > Can you enlighten me for this one?
> >
> > -Yan
>
> I'm not sure if it's what he had in mind, but if you don't think
you'll want
> or need to wait until you're close to the corruption limit before
taking the
> White Unicorn reward, and you furthermore don't feel compelled to
leave the
> chain with all corruptions removed (in which case the usual solution
is to
> take the reward after closing the gate), you can get some benefit out
of all
> of your "excess" non-corruptedness by repeatedly reading the Tome
just before
> taking the reward.
>
> Erik

Doesn't it give you random spell knowledge upon reading? It also draws
alignment towards chaotic, right? I know these can be useful, but, not
for my hurthling monk... ;)