Another $350 Flagship Killer: BLU Pure XL Smartphone Boasts 24MP Camera, 64 GB Storage, Fingerprint Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This phone was almost perfect, almost.

The only thing that would have made it perfect is front facing stereo speakers and perhaps make the home button the fingerprint sensor.

Trust me, once you used a phone with front facing stereo speakers you will understand.

MarioMan1337

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
OLED screen? 9-volt charger? More battery capacity than the Galaxy Note 5? 64GB LTE phone with MicroSD slot for only $350? Now THIS is the phone to save up for!

Akh! Looks good in virtually every way, but damn that MediaTek processor!
I refuse to buy anything incorporating one due to their violation of the GPL licensing surrounding the Linux kernel and consistently anti-FOSS attitudes.

Plus, it means absolutely no ROMs and a high likelihood the phone will be frozen on that OS, neither of which are worth a low price for me.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
The main problem with blu phones is their Android skin. Why can't they just keep it as stock Android?

Not disagreeing with you at all, but isn't that something one could easily overlook in light of the compelling specs, features and price?

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
The only thing that would have made it perfect is front facing stereo speakers and perhaps make the home button the fingerprint sensor.

Funny you should say that. Some in the industry (meaning biometric sensor makers) posit that a fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone makes more sense than the front.

If the specs are correct the battery life might not be that great. 8 of the exact same CPUs will drain faster than how the Note 5 or say any big.LITTLE setup will.

The other interesting thing is the article is boasting the 24MP camera but it has a much worse sensor than the Note 5, LG G4 or iPhone 6.

vajoiner

Reputable
May 18, 2014
Akh! Looks good in virtually every way, but damn that MediaTek processor!
I refuse to buy anything incorporating one due to their violation of the GPL licensing surrounding the Linux kernel and consistently anti-FOSS attitudes.

Plus, it means absolutely no ROMs and a high likelihood the phone will be frozen on that OS, neither of which are worth a low price for me.

wow. thanks for that bit of information. that is definitely a deal breaker. i suppose its nexus 6 atw then.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
This phone was almost perfect, almost.

Trust me, once you used a phone with front facing stereo speakers you will understand.

Ya beat me to it. Front speakers or bust.

technos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
The other interesting thing is the article is boasting the 24MP camera but it has a much worse sensor than the Note 5, LG G4 or iPhone 6.

Actually "much worse" is quite the exaggeration here. It has a f/2.0 lens versus the Note's f/1.9. The iphone 6 has a f/2.2 lens with its 8 MP sensor. Some interesting features such as a super short focusing time and after-shot "magic focus" makes the camera downright competitive with anything there is. Not to mention the sapphire cover. The only camera that stands above would be the LG G4's f/1.8 lens and oversized sensor. But even then this camera might actually have quicker focusing times than the G4. The camera alone might be worth the price of admission!

I think that for the first time the dslr crowd will have some interesting camera reviews to look forward to. But the statement "much worse" really won't be justified . There is a lot of unjustified nit-picking on this phone imho.

DavidH92

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
OLED screen? 9-volt charger? More battery capacity than the Galaxy Note 5? 64GB LTE phone with MicroSD slot for only $350? Now THIS is the phone to save up for!
and I just got the Note 5 Last sunday darn it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.