deses

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I have this 390X that I bought in 2015 or so, and it has been running wonderfully for many years. I replaced the paste and thermal pads about 2 or 3 years ago and thermals were still great, until recently I got a freeze and then I've never been able to get signal from this card again. I can't even see the POST screen and the monitor goes to sleep because it's not getting any signal whatsoever.

Things I've tried:
  • I've tried this card in three different computers with completely different platforms (One modern AM4 board, one ancient AM3 board and a LGA 1700 board).
  • Two different monitors. HDMI or DisplayPort.
  • Windows, and Linux.
  • These three computers had PSUs of sufficient power (EVGA 700 W, two different Corsair 850W).
The only reaction from the GPU is a slight fan movement, just a jolt, not even a full fan revolution.

I believe the card is dead but still I'd like to ask if there's something I could do to fix it. So far the only advice I've found on the internet is to use DDU and try other drivers. It's not a driver problem, please don't tell me to run DDU.

deses

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
If I were you, I'd just be thanking my lucky stars that I was able to even use a card as old as the R9 390X in 2023 at all.

You could replace that with pretty much anything and it would be a huge improvement.

Yeah, maybe, but it was still more than perfectly fine to run some if not most games on it. Nothing beats hardware you already have on hand. :')

The plan for this GPU was to pair it with an old Ryzen 1700 a friend no longer needs and make a barebones computer for another friend of us that doesn't have a computer at all, and she has to play Genshin Impact on her phone. Believe me, anything is better than playing with her phone.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Yeah, maybe, but it was still more than perfectly fine to run some if not most games on it. Nothing beats hardware you already have on hand. :')
I totally get that. If it works, why change it?
The plan for this GPU was to pair it with an old Ryzen 1700 a friend no longer needs and make a barebones computer for another friend of us that doesn't have a computer at all, and she has to play Genshin Impact on her phone. Believe me, anything is better than playing with her phone.
Oh I believe it. Phones make tablets and craptops look powerful! :LOL:

You know, even if the card is dropping frames, it's probably still a lot better than her phone. The only question is, how long will it last before it finally croaks?