Another AMD Price drop? DAMMIT AMD

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I swear I have been adamant on getting this gtx 970 but AMD keeps doing everything in its power to win me over D: I know AMD has better price to performance but god damn I want those nvidia features and that Twin Frozr V! Why AMD whyyyyyy?

Solution
Well, the only AMD GPU which's around the 970 level is R9 290X, consumes more power, is more expensive, and getting it over 970 doesn't make sense. For $350, you're getting performance comparable to 780 Ti, or 290X.

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

I know but I am already over budget yet I desperately want the 970 for its longer life span and all those BEAUTIFUL DRIVER UPDATES to come. It's just so tempting to spend less. But you gotta spend big to play big.

Actually, a R9 290 can max out any games right now, its in no way a weak GPU for maxing out titles, 970 is just better. If you're fine with more power demand 5-10 less FPS, there's no way a 290 would be weak. I'd get the 970, however, for the amazing specs and power demand it has for the price asked, totally worth it IMO.

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Don't get me wrong, if AMD had better features, I would of hoped on that bandwagon without a second thought but Nvidia seriously lured me in with all its premium specs and features. I mean my fan doesn't even turn on until it's at around 60C! And it overclocks to 1500mhz and still doesn't go ANYWHERE near the thermal limit! If that isn't superior craftsmanship, I don't know what is.

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

I would wait, but I have waited long enough with my terrible build. I am extremely excited to build my first PC! :D