[SOLVED] Another annoying "new PC build" thread

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Haha Don't mind the title, guys....just having some fun!

My first ever PC build will turn 10 years old in October. I've been ready to take the plunge to build my second rig for a while now, but I've been busy with other things. But I'm now more motivated than ever due to needing a new PC for business (and for pleasure, let's be honest!).

I've had some stuff saved on PCPartPicker for months now and I'm just wanting to get some feedback on whether or not it will be suitable for my needs.

The machine will be used for heavy Internet surfing, word processing/spreadsheet creating, and some first person shooter gaming when I have the time. I have three monitors that I run in surround vision that are also 3D capable.

Here's what I was thinking:

Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG ATX full tower case
Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold fully modular ATX PSU
Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero ATX LGA1151 motherboard
Intel i-7-8700k 3.7GHz 6 core processor
Acrtic Freezer 33 eSports ONE CPU cooler
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 RAM
Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
nVidia GeForce GTX 970Ti GPU
LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray writer
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

For comparison, here is what I currently have:

Antec 1200 ATX case
Antec 850W 80+ modular PSU
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 1366 X58 motherboard
Intel i-7 920 2.66GHz quad core CPU
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU cooler
Mushkin 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 RAM
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HD x 2 (in RAID 0)
nVidia GeForce GTX 970Ti GPU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
LG BH08LS20 Blu-Ray writer

Logitech G19 keyboard
Razer DeathAdder mouse
QcK Steel Series gaming pad
Asus 27" 144Hz 3D monitor (x3)

My biggest concern with my current machine is that Microsoft will soon not be supporting Windows 7 and also since Microsoft won't be supporting Win7 neither will TurboTax 2019. Could I upgrade my OS on my current machine? Yeah...but I may as well just upgrade the whole rig if I'm going to go through the trouble. :LOL:

Thanks!

Solution
You've saved that rig for some time, it would seem. I'd be looking at a 9th generation processor (Intel Core I7-9700K) and a motherboard with a Z390 chipset. Additionally, I'd be looking at a new graphics card. Something along the lines of an RTX 2070 Super.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You've saved that rig for some time, it would seem. I'd be looking at a 9th generation processor (Intel Core I7-9700K) and a motherboard with a Z390 chipset. Additionally, I'd be looking at a new graphics card. Something along the lines of an RTX 2070 Super.

-Wolf sends

Solution

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

-Wolf sends

Yes....admittedly I've had this parts list saved for some time now. Good call on the latest generation processor and motherboard. I've adjusted my list accordingly. I had planned to just use my current GPU to save some coin, but considering I will likely have my next build for just as long as I've had my current one, maybe I shouldn't cheap out and re-use current stuff. It's just money that I can't take with me, right?? :sneaky: Thank you for your input!

Hey, I see that the 2070 Super card doesn't have any DVI ports. Currently I use a DVI port and two DisplayPort ports. I know (from experience) in the early history of surround vision/Eyefinity that the cards were very, very picky about what ports could be used to use three monitors as one giant display. Has all of that been "fixed" in recent years? My monitors don't have DisplayPort so I have to use active adapters, which is fine as long as that will still work for me...will using my third monitor with HDMI be ok?? Thanks

I wasn't aware they ever made a GTX970Ti

You are a very astute PC enthusiast and forum user!! You are exactly right! I have a GeForce 980Ti.....that was my bad!!!! :LOL:

Otherwise, does it seem like a decent build for my needs? I figure more than doubling the RAM and going from 7200rpm HDD to M.2 NVMe will probably blow my mind!

Last edited:
Going from a hdd to ANY SSD will blow your mind.

Secondly, if you're currently running DVI monitors, there's been a lot of improvements made in monitors since. Namely variable refresh rates. With your current GPU, you're limited to GSync only. (be careful, GSync. and GSync Compatible are different things)
Also, ultra wide monitors (21:9 aspect ratio)

Your thermalright ultra is probably compatible with the new CPU. An arctic 33 would be a side-grade at best. If you're buying a new cooler it would be nice to get something better than you currently own.

2x8GB DDR4-3200 CAS16 costs $65 (in the USA). Corsair dominator platinum is expensive for what you get, and the heat spreaders would likely prevent you from installing a stick in the memory slot closest to the CPU if you're using an air cooler.

Last edited:

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Going from a hdd to ANY SSD will blow your mind.

Secondly, if you're currently running DVI monitors, there's been a lot of improvements made in monitors since. Namely variable refresh rates. With your current GPU, you're limited to GSync only. (be careful, GSync. and GSync Compatible are different things)
Also, ultra wide monitors (21:9 aspect ratio)

Your thermalright ultra is probably compatible with the new CPU. An arctic 33 would be a side-grade at best. If you're buying a new cooler it would be nice to get something better than you currently own.

2x8GB DDR4-3200 CAS16 costs $65 (in the USA). Corsair dominator platinum is expensive for what you get, and the heat spreaders would likely prevent you from installing a stick in the memory slot closest to the CPU if you're using an air cooler.

I'm sure you're right about the HDD to SSD!! I'm excited to find out for myself 🆒

I don't doubt that monitors have come a long ways. I bought my three Asus VG278HE monitors on 01/19/2016....3.5 year old electronic equipment is equivalent to, like, 35 human years. LOL However, I'm perfectly happy with them currently and it's absolutely not in my budget to replace the monitors at this time.

You're right about the cooler! Don't want to cheap out only to get hot not far down the road.

I swapped the Dominator Platinum for the Vengeance LPX....same performance specs but less "bling". I'm not too big into the bling. Sure, I can appreciate a nice looking rig, but I'm definitely not on the "RGB EVERYTHING!!!" bandwagon and where every little piece is customized/customiz-able. I just want it to work. :sneaky: No offense to anyone that is into that sort of thing, but I just don't care about it. lol

Ok, so here is my revised and updated list:
I'm currently shooting for 9/10/19 as my purchase date.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX case
Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold PSU
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E ATX motherboard
Intel i7-9700K CPU
Corsair H60 liquid CPU cooler
Samsung 970 Evo 2TB M.2 SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB RAM
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super GPU
LG WH16NS40 Blu-ray writer
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Thanks for the feedback, man!! I'm excited about it. Not excited about spending the money, but hey, that's part of any type of upgrade, right? Haha

It's so funny to me about GPUs...When I got the 980Ti a few short years ago it was one baaaad card and will handle anything thrown at it....now people just turn their noses up at it. lol I understand that software is ever-changing and becomes more demanding, but I know that the 980 would still handle anything I threw at it (and it's paid for!). A few years from now, I won't be able to even give away the 2070 Super for free because no one will want it. I guess GPU manufacturers have people right where they want them. Maybe I should invest in some stock with them. lol :ROFLMAO: But, I don't mind going ahead and getting a new one...it will make my current computer more usable with the 980 than if I put my even older R9 290X back into it. Will probably throw my old PC on craigslist or something. If no one wants it, I'll probably just move it out to my shop and use it as my shop computer since my current shop computer is a straight up boat anchor. LOL

TRENDING THREADS