Another anti static wrist strap question

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hello,

I know this has been discussed a lot before but I keep seeing different answers so I thought I'd bring it up again...

When wearing an anti static wrist strap I know you should attach it to the case but when do I do with the PSU? I've seen some people say unplug it from the wall while others say leave it plugged in but keep it turned off (or maybe it doesn't matter?). Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I'm going to build my first computer soon. I'm going to build it on a wooden table but I have to stand on carpet because it's all I have in my small apartment. I'm also in Michigan so it's cold and there is low humidity...so I want to be sure I'm protected heh.

Thanks for the help!

Hello jr61;

Since you're asking for opinions.
I favor having the PSU plugged into the wall socket (and it's earth ground) and turned off.
The PSU does not need to be in the case and you'd have the wrist strap connected to the PSU.
You could always put an put a broken down cardboard box on top of the carpet and stand on that.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Google it. See what professional assemblers do in a production environment. From what I've seen, I'm probably the only one in here with the slightest understanding of static electricity (and electricity in general), but there's no way to prove that, so you still don't know who to believe. But, even so, unplug electrical devices before working on them. That's like duh. After all the blah, blah, blah, unplug it. I could explain why, but I shouldn't have to. Shut off the water before working on the faucet, too, and turn the engine of your car off before replacing the fan belt. Do those need explaining? For crying out loud. You understand water pressure, and you understand mechanical force, but believe me when I tell you that you don't understand electricity, so don't let it have a crack at you and your rig. Put several feet of air between you and it.

Replacing carpet with cardboard does nothing, and a wooden table is no better than a table made of any other insulating material. Static electricity occurs on any insulator. Didn't you ever feel your arm hair stand up near cardboard or wood? I have. And you don't even have to be able to feel the static for it to kill your board. Your anti-static wrist strap has to be connected to earth ground. Note the period. This isn't a matter of opinion. This ain't Wikipedia.

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Well I am ignorant on the subject, that is why I'm asking. I know you shouldn't work on electronics while they are plugged in.... I thought by having it plugged in but turned off it would somehow provide a ground.

What should I do to get an earth ground? attaching it to just the case isn't really an earth ground is it?

Thanks for your responses!

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

The thing that's good about the kitchen is not the lack of carpet, it's the availability of a cold water pipe for earth ground, if your water pipes are metal, as most are. Static electricity is everywhere.