Another AntiTrust case against Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

These are all really good points but too bad they won't work on me you fanboi. :non:
(just trying to keep it real)

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
"Governor, there's a call for you on line 3. It's some guy from AMC or AMT or something."
"Thank you, Peggy. Put it through."
"Hello, Governor?"
"Is that you Hector?"
"Yeah. Hey, listen, you know that plant we were gonna build? Couple thousand high paying technical jobs, months of construction workers getting paid, that kind of thing?"
"Um... yeah."
"Well, we're getting creamed in the marketplace and our stock's in the toilet. Bottom line is: we won't have the money to build the factory, so all that stuff about the new plant is completely irrelevant unless you can help us out with something."
"I think I take your meaning. Catch you later, Hec."
"Later days, bro."
[click]
"Peggy, get Andy Cuomo on the line. I need to talk to him."

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I don't get it.

Why isn't MS getting fined? Aren't they monopolizing the OS market? Or have they been fined already?

Although I know monopolizing the market is not a good thing, if your products are cheaper and better than the competitors, how's that illegal?

randomizer

Champion

I'm going to mark your words.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. And please explain how Intel being found guilty of anti-trust practices, by Japan or any government, is not relevant to this topic?

I'm a fanboy for contributing to a thread about Intel you created? Puh-leez... :sarcastic:

They are really good points. Thanks!

Now let me keep it real...is anyone really surprised that Intel is and will be found guilty of antitrust? As I wrote in a previous post...

and...

Even an fanboy can't deny violating antitrust laws in any country is still illegal, regardless of the company.

intelamduser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004

This opinion article was out a couple of weeks ago. No matter what the politicians do to try by suing intel or whatever AMD will never have the capitol to build a muliti billion dollar plant in NY.

AMD could never compete at anytime in volume and I believe that part of Intel's defense will be that AMD could not meet the supply demands regardless of what Intel did. When AMD signed up with Dell they imidiatly started to faulter. Curious as it is so did Dell just about the same time.

AMD does not have the financial ability anymore to dual with Intel on the legal front and they do not have the ability to compete in the marketplace with competitive products. So now they whine to the libs in New York about how they were cheated. This is so blatent it is astounding that only a few are addressing it.

Who has smarter lawyers, Intel or the New York Judicial system? This is who will prevail in the long run. It sure hurt Bill Gates business and made billionaires of the companies who got the politicians to go after him. Thats the reason almost everyone is using netscape now instead of MS explorer.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Bix,
Unless youve seen something new, which is quite possible, the deal hasent fallen through yet. Hell, a deal hasnt even been signed yet ;)
Nov 07-Luther Forest still AMD's top pick: spokesman

Advanced Micro Devices Inc.'s plans to build a $3.2 billion computer chip plant won't be impacted by the resignation of Ken Green, the economic developer that play a role in landing the company here.

There never was an actual deal....no contracts were ever signed, and at the last meeting of AMD and the SEDC (that I know) of in Dec 07, AMD signed only an option on an undisclosed amount of land in the Luther Forest Technology Campus...to be purchased if AMD decided to press ahead with the plan.

Dec 07-AMD secures option on Luther Forest land

Advanced Micro Devices has reached a deal to secure an option to purchase land at the Luther Forest Technology Campus in Malta.

AMD has signed the option, and it has signed today by Luther Forest Technology Campus Development Corp. Executive Director Michael Relyea.

AMD spokesman Travis Bullard couldn’t say how many acres the option covered. AMD is planning to build on about 200 acres, but Bullard said the acreage covered in the option would not be disclosed to the public.

Bullard said the execution of the option will allow AMD to buy the land for a $3.2 billion computer chip factory it is planning at the site. AMD has until July 2009 to make a decision to go ahead with the project.

Now, that doesnt mean I believe they are or not going to go ahead with the project, only that there is no rush to do anything about it. The situation, depending how its managed could actually save them a little face. With the go-no go dead line still 18 months away, they can posture and say 'yeah, we're doing it', making it appear as if they can afford it....even if they cant. Even if they arent going to go ahead, saying so now, when it isnt costing them any money, could cost them in reputation....essentially a cancellation could be interpreted as an admission that things are as bad for AMD as some people are saying...then again, with 'fab lite' (sounds like a frigging soft drink....dontcha wanta fanta), a cancellation could be seen nuetrally....mearly as part of a new plan. Regardless, right now it doesnt hurt them to keep the option open.

Peace bro

azfj60

Distinguished
May 3, 2007

#1 - Never proved, settled, and Japanese laws are different than NY laws.
#2 - Some facts to back that up, or your opinion? I'm not up to speed on Dell.
#3 - Agreed, but there is no proof of these allegations. Again, was NY just randomly checking into CPU manufacturers? On behalf of whom? And what CPU customer (i.e. OEM computer maker in NY) is being hurt by this?
#4 - Background? which one of the many AMD suits? Proven in court? I think all of them have sold AMD chips. Who has brought these anti-trust suits to the courts, OEM's, or AMD? How many times has Intel been found guilty of antitrust?
#5 - It's not the country's that are doing this. It's AMD shopping the world's court system hoping to litigate a break.

If previous history is any indicator, NY doesn't stand a snowball's chance...

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

Great points Turpit! To answer your question, no I haven't seen any recent hard evidence of AMD officially backing out of the deal. What I'm basing my opinion on is mostly circumstantial, but enough for me to form a half baked opinion. ;)

Here's what I see:

1) I don't see AMD being able to raise enough cash through their CPU business for purchasing this new fab even though it's mostly subsidized by NY state. Especially in light of their recent issues with Barcelona and lack of delivering the goods in general. Who knows though, IBM could step in and cover the rest, with the fall-back idea of picking up the new fab for a song if AMD goes bust in the near future.

2) I don't see them being able to secure any new loans to raise enough cash for this either. They're debt heavy already and after the Abu Dhabi incident, I don't think the'll be able to court any more sugar daddies.

3) I don't see any products on AMD's current roadmap that could put them into a position to raise enough cash to pursue this venture. Some believe that ATI will be able to generate enough $$ until the CPU division can get back on it's feet. I'm not so optimistic.

4) As you mentioned, the whole Fab Lite concept that AMD has floated out there. Again, based on speculation, but I think it's safe to assume that AMD is meaning farming out to TSMC and others. Can't imagine what else a term like this could mean.

5) Lastly, I find it very strange that NY is initiating this investigation. All other suits to date have been initiated by AMD. So I ask, why NY state? Why not Halfbaked, Iowa, or Middletown, Georgia? Well, that's obvious, I know. NY has much to lose if they lose this huge investor...prestige, tax dollars, etc. That's what leads me to believe that it's more political than anything else. archibael's post was particularly funny to this light...I can see something like this actually happening. :na: :na: I think it's at least an indication that NY is concerned that AMD won't be able to follow through. I'm not even sure what kind of jurisdiction NY state would have over Intel since this is filed in a state court and not Federal...definetely not my area of expertise though.

So, you see, lot's of speculation on my part based mostly on circumstantial evidence...so I could be way off here.

Cheers bro,
Bix

endyen

Splendid

Not settled, Intel accepted the ruling, and aceeded to the terms, though they did not admit guilt.(ever met a convict who said the judge was right?)
Actually most country's antimonopoly law is very close. International forums played a major part in American, and most other country's wording.
While the republicans have been loath to allow monopoly cases, it would seem that that time is passing.

My two bits says Intel will be found guilty, and will be required to pay AMD enough to build that fab.

In Australia no Government Departments have ever purchased AMD processors in their PC contracts that I am aware of.

If this is FUD then please ... illuminate me ... because I havn't seen one green machine in a state or federal office.

Even recently we received new PC's (in the thousands) with dual core Pentium D SPACE HEATERS in them... because that was what was specified in the contract.

At the time we could have purchased X2's at a lower price ... and wit the cool and quiet I'd assume a healthy decrease in power use.

Interestingly all of the machines have INTEL crap mobos in them and INTEL crap integrated graphics ... with the crap D805's in them.

I complained to the local IT senior staffer who handled the contract and he commented that that's just the way it is.

AMD have been ruled out of the market under the SPECIFICATIONS OF THE TENDERS.

If that isn't monopolistic behaviour then I am at a loss to understand the concept.

Now that AMD has the platform capacity I hope they are given the opportunity to compete....

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
On another note, good for amd getting money, poor way to do it though.

CA_Lawman = fanboi (with a hint of conspirator)

fx51

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007

LOL is like Best Buy

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Mario's little boy Andrew wants to be President of the United States, so he's taking Elliot's lead and suing and investigating everyone in the state for his next step as Governor for the state of New York. See he wants to go farther than daddy.

#1 - As endyen noted, the case was settled and Intel agreed to the terms. It doesn't take a legal analyst to know that they settled the case to avoid a court ruling and sweep the issues and a guilty verdict under the rug.

#2 - Not opinion, it's the documented history of Dell. Once Dell started selling Opterons and a few months after they started selling the Athlon, AMD products all but dissappeared from their line-up and you could only buy machines with P4's. The lawsuit gets filed late 2005, Dell gets dragged into the antitrust fracas in late 2006, January 2007 Mikey Dell becomes the CEO (again) and Dell has giant press releases about how they are selling AMD processors. Do some research.

#3 - No proof?! C'mon, you're killing me here...btw, the New York state is home to the 2nd Circuit Federal District court...I'd say that's more the reason why NY is investigating, albeit the timing is curious. And so what if AMD called in a favor to start the investigation, it's still the Federal Prosecutor's decision to investigate.

#4 - Do some research, read the filings and depositions, it's all documented.

#5 - So what if AMD is "shopping" the courts? They governments themselves would not be investigating if there were no case.

It's hard to believe that anyone out there thinks Intel is not guilty. You have be niave to think that any company doesn't leverage it's market share and skirt the law to edge the competition.

azfj60

Distinguished
May 3, 2007

So why isn't every company being sued for anti-competitive behavior? The truth will come out. It seems you have already convicted Intel without any facts. What is apparent is that AMD shops the same old allegations around the world, and there hasn't yet been any convictions, especially in the US. The only proof you've offered is the parroting of AMD allegations. Historical market share data is going to be tough for AMD to look at in court. When they had good processors, their market share skyrocketed proportionately, no? I guess we just disagree, and will have to wait for the facts to come out, but AMD has a history of trying to litigate instead of actually get some decent products on the market. Crying wolf gets old after a few decades.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

Inconsequential. There are 11 district courts in all, and all of them are shared by numerous surrounding states. In the case of the Second Circuit court, it's shared by Connecticut, Vermont and NY.

This is particularly sad. If AMD was producing a decent product (e.g., Barcelona), was fiscally responsible (e.g., $5.2 billion for ATI?) and had a better manufacturing process (e.g., architecture upgradge, then process shrink), they wouldn't have to resort to such tatics because they would be a viable competitor to Intel. This is common when a company has a hard time competing in a market...and it's not always due to a perceived monolopy.

Depositions and filings don't always translate to a guilty ruling...they are just one side lodging allegations. I'll wait for these to run the course of the judical system before condemning anyone. If Intel is found guilty, you bet I'll heap on the disdain.

Any government would be interested in a case involving a major player in their market. However, let's just hope that those governments aren't involved to a degree that they would influence one way or the other a desired outcome. I don't think you would want anything but a fair and impartial trial.

It's hard to believe much coming from AMD these days. As I mentioned above...I'll wait for this to run its course...

Dell's probably a little pissed that AMD can't provide K10 in quantity and that it doesn't perform. That was probably part of the decision of starting to supply AMD CPUs, they thought they'd have a competitive part that they could get in respectable quantities.