Another ASUS P8Z77-V "Power supply surge..." issue

frankoz

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
My computer started shutting down, and on rebooting, I got the message "Power supply surge detected during previous power on. Asus anti-surge was triggered..." Sometimes it stayed on for a few minutes, before rebooting, and going through this cycle. I was not able to log on, and could only access the BIOS.

I changed the PSU, and also used another surge protector. On changing the PSU, my computer stayed on overnight with no issues, leading me to think the issue had been resolved. However , in the afternoon after I returned from work, I noticed that that "Power supply surge" message was there again, and the computer had shut down at some point. The computer had been off for about 3 days before I changed out the PSU, don't know if that's relevant.

On restarting, it stayed on for a few hours, before shutting down, and coming up with the anti-surge warning on reboot.

In BIOS, the 12V voltage monitor is now red, which it wasn't before, and is recording 13.824V, sometimes dropping off to 13.72V.

Since I've changed the PSU, it seems unlikely that is the source of the problem. In other threads, I've seen people recommend turning off the anti-surge protection. Before i do that, I just want to know what are other possible sources of this problem, since the PSU is ruled out.

All fans are spinning normally, temps are fine, case was de-dusted, cables checked and all seated properly. What else could be causing this issue?

Thanks.

Could you post your system components including PSU models.
The +12V should be between 11.40V - 12.60V and the -12V between -10.8V - -13.2V and that could be why Asus anti-surge protection it shutting down to protect your PC components.
It could be the Asus anti-surge protection sensor circuit is misreading data or is too sensitive to electrical ripples.
Unless you are getting very cheap PSUs that should not be happening.

frankoz

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
My initial PSU was a Thermaltake Smart ProRGB650W model. I replaced it with a EVGA 700B model. The Thermaltake was about 8 months in service, as my previous Corsair PSU had definitely gone bad.
CPU is an Intel i5 3570K
Graphics card is a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650Ti
Samsung 128 GB SSD for OS and 1TB WD storage
Two sticks of 8GB Crucial RAM

frankoz

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018

But the reading I'm seeing, the 13.824V, would be an input to the VRM, correct?, not an output