Another @bios failure, computer still on, any way to recover

sjwilling

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
GA-K8NF-9, was on Bios revision1 or 2. Computer was in discard bin but decided to resurrect as file server. Installed Seagate 2TB SATA drive and BIOS only intermittently recognized so I tried BIOS update with the @BIOS, since PC doesn't have floppy drive.

Have run numerous times with various BIOS revisions and the flash fails at 50%. The computer is still running in Windows 7. Is there any other option for flashing the BIOS from within Windows 7, or any fix for the @BIOS?

sjwilling

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I finally gave up but before rebooting used the @BIOS to rewrite the original F2 release I had been running. It still crashed at the 50% point.

Miraculously or not, the CMOS did not fry and the computer still boots after repeated failed attempts at update with @BIOS.

I'm still open to suggestions on why it has trouble with the SATA drive, however.

I can only guess that there's a setting in the bios that needs to be changed, such as "boot block" or "virus protection". Windows firewall may also effect the flash, so I disable that also. If your sata drive isn't working or booting up properly, try connecting it after windows is running and see how it's displayed in the "system" properties. A bad drive will be displayed with only a white background, not highlighted like working devices. I clone my sata drives and this sometimes works when other methods fail. For maxtor and seagate drives, maxblast 5 is the program to use, and only one of the two drives used for cloning needs to be the right brand. Good luck.

sjwilling

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I will. Any advice on how to make a simple bootable DOS flash? My web searches only show how to make a bootable flash with windows installation files, those I don't need.

sjwilling

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
When I put in an old 20G hard drive I had a running install of Windows 7. Windows could see and format the new drive, and even installed another copy onto the 2T drive. I could boot to it as long as the old drive is there. I haven't been able to remove the old HD and install Windows directly onto the 2T as a bootable drive. Even when the BIOS is recognizing the drive at bootup, the Windows 7 installation doesn't recognize it. Summing it it, I can't run it without the old drive in the case and operating as the boot drive.

So is it a BIOS problem or a Windows problem?

It's a windows problem. Use maxblast to prep the new 2 tb drive, and I'll bet it will install windows fine unless the drive is bad. I usually hear a clicking noise when a new drive is bad. Oem drives sometimes get damaged while handling since they don't have as much protection as the retail drives packed in a box.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
If I understand it correctly, there's hope even in the case when the bios became corrupted, because a recovery method kicks in, and starts looking for the contents of the bios-package, which consists of the bios file, the bios utility and an autoexec.bat file. The good part is that according to some descriptions ( http://yorickdowne.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/recovering-from-bios-failure-on-gigabyte-ga-ep45-ud3p/ ) , it looks for these files not only on floppy disk drive, but on CD/DVD and USB drive too, and the disk/pendrive doesn't even have to be actually DOS-bootable (!?).