[SOLVED] Another bottleneck question

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
My cpu is bottlenecked so I was talking to a guy and he said that if I replace/upgrade the cpu I will still be bottlenecked and tbat I should replace both gpu and cpu.

My gpu:Asus 1050 ti

Cpu:Amd ryzen 3 1200

Solution
  • If lowering the graphics settings has no effect on frame rates, then the bottleneck is your CPU
  • If lowering the graphics settings increases the frame rate, then your GPU is reaching its upper limits
https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-determine-gpu-vs-cpu-bottlenecks-and-possible-solutions/

Like @remixislandmusic stated the single channel memory (slow speed?) could really affect gaming. For example going from 2133 to 3200 on Destiny 2 raised my FPS by almost 25 and this is in a dual channel kit.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
  1. Who is this "guy"?
  2. Why do you think you're bottlenecked?
A friend from twitter wich knows alot about pc's

Well.The pc hasnt been performing well lately (2-3 months ago and still happening) and then I checked in task manager and saw that my cpu usage was at 92-100 and my gpu was at 45-50.Another guy in this forum had told me tbat task mamager was a bad example to check if im bottlenecked but I dont know any other way to check

A friend from twitter wich knows alot about pc's

Well.The pc hasnt been performing well lately (2-3 months ago and still happening) and then I checked in task manager and saw that my cpu usage was at 92-100 and my gpu was at 45-50.Another guy in this forum had told me tbat task mamager was a bad example to check if im bottlenecked but I dont know any other way to check
MSI afterburner is a good tool also from what I hear the Ryzen 3 1200 is a good CPU so seems weird for smth like a 1050 Ti to be bottlenecked by it.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
MSI afterburner is a good tool also from what I hear the Ryzen 3 1200 is a good CPU so seems weird for smth like a 1050 Ti to be bottlenecked by it.
Yup.I tried msi afterburner and my cpu usage was still high while gpu was low.But Im mostly trying to know what I asked first.He said that if I upgrade cpu I will still be bottlenecked and that I will have to change both cpu and gpu.

My 1200 and RX580 are usually both with very high utilization in games.
If my 1200 can allow an RX580 to stretch its legs, your 1200 should not limit a GTX 1050ti.

What are your full specs?

Latest Nvidia driver?

You can use the MSI afterburner overlay to see what CPU and GPU usage are in games.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

WildCard999

Titan
  • If lowering the graphics settings has no effect on frame rates, then the bottleneck is your CPU
  • If lowering the graphics settings increases the frame rate, then your GPU is reaching its upper limits
https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-determine-gpu-vs-cpu-bottlenecks-and-possible-solutions/

Like @remixislandmusic stated the single channel memory (slow speed?) could really affect gaming. For example going from 2133 to 3200 on Destiny 2 raised my FPS by almost 25 and this is in a dual channel kit.

Solution

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

The graphics settings mean the ingame settings like shadows,textures,anti aliasing etc.If so then it will obviously make my fps better

WildCard999

Titan
Oh ok.Also if I upgrade to a Ryzen 7 2700 and get a dual channel 2666mhz.Will tbat improve fps?
It could, depends on the game but for the memory you ideally want 3000mhz. If the motherboard supports the 3rd gen then I'd get the 3600 instead of the 2700 due to the better performance per core which is what your want for gaming. For the 2nd or 3rd gen though you may need to update the motherboard BIOS and if you do go in order. Upgrading to the newest BIOS from an old one could potentially brick the motherboard and turn it into a paperweight and most companies won't do the RMA due to "user error". As for the memory sell your single stick and buy a 2x8gb @3000 kit.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
It could, depends on the game but for the memory you ideally want 3000mhz. If the motherboard supports the 3rd gen then I'd get the 3600 instead of the 2700 due to the better performance per core which is what your want for gaming. For the 2nd or 3rd gen though you may need to update the motherboard BIOS and if you do go in order. Upgrading to the newest BIOS from an old one could potentially brick the motherboard and turn it into a paperweight and most companies won't do the RMA due to "user error". As for the memory sell your single stick and buy a 2x8gb @3000 kit.
Ok.As I saw,my mobo supports it.I cant buy the 3rd gen since my budget is not high enough.

WildCard999

Titan
The 3600 isn't much more expensive then the 2700, at least not in the US.

The first thing I'd upgrade is the memory as even if you don't see an increase in FPS (this all depends on the game) it should reduce FPS dips and be more stable. After putting in the new memory go into the BIOS and make sure it's running at the correct speed. If not make sure AXMP/XMP is enabled as this will ensure the memory is running at the correct speed, voltage & timings. It also may be called something else but it depends on the manufacturer.

Then I'd upgrade the CPU and finally the GPU but make sure whatever new card you put into the system is supported by your PSU.

I just did a little test.

1200 at stock.
1x4gb 2133 auto timings
449CB

1200 at stock
2x4gb 2133 auto timings
451CB (tested 2 times and got same score)

1200 at stock
2x4gb 3333mhz CL16
464CB

1200 @ 3.7ghz
3333mhz CL16
552CB

Now this is just cinebench and not gaming, so performance in games may not be the same.

You can see faster ram in dual channel did have an increase, but the CPU overclock did a lot for performance.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

1200 at stock.
1x4gb 2133 auto timings
449CB

1200 at stock
2x4gb 2133 auto timings
451CB

1200 at stock
2x4gb 3333mhz CL16
464CB

1200 @ 3.7ghz
3333mhz CL16
552CB
QUite

1200 at stock.
1x4gb 2133 auto timings
449CB

1200 at stock
2x4gb 2133 auto timings
451CB (tested 2 times and got same score)

1200 at stock
2x4gb 3333mhz CL16
464CB

1200 @ 3.7ghz
3333mhz CL16
552CB

Now this is just cinebench and not gaming, so performance in games may not be the same.
The 3600 isn't much more expensive then the 2700, at least not in the US.

The first thing I'd upgrade is the memory as even if you don't see an increase in FPS (this all depends on the game) it should reduce FPS dips and be more stable. After putting in the new memory go into the BIOS and make sure it's running at the correct speed. If not make sure AXMP/XMP is enabled as this will ensure the memory is running at the correct speed, voltage & timings. It also may be called something else but it depends on the manufacturer.

Then I'd upgrade the CPU and finally the GPU but make sure whatever new card you put into the system is supported by your PSU.
Ahh ok.Thanks for both of you guys.How do I check if my gpu is supported by my psu?I honestly need to change my gpu since its temps are really bad at gaming.If I cap my fps at 120 or 144 the temps go down but if I cap it at 240 or even put it in unlimited it will get hot