Another damn "which card" question

Scottismo

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
I have recently bought a new PC and as you can see from the specs it has the potential to be a pretty kick ass PC. I play games a lot and currently the limiting factor is the graphics card which is the equivalent of an old geforce 2 roughly which is why i have such a low 3DMark score. I would have got a new card along with all my other components but i didnt quite have the moeny. But....i have the money now. Im in the UK and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb is £270 while a Geforce FX 5900 (non-ultra) is £280. Im not asking which one is better, unlike many ppl on forums, i do background research and read what ppl think of them. All im interested to know is if you had my PC Setup, what card would you buy seeing as there is little price difference between the two. The Radeon is possible more powerful although im not sure of this due to so many conflicting results. The 5900 candidate is probably going to be made by MSI or Asus as they have the best cooling and game bundle. The Ati is either straight from ATI or from Powercolor or Gigabyte. These don't have much in the way of bundled extras of any kind afaik.

Your insights would be welcome! Oh and if you were going to recommend the 5900 ultra instead, that would cost me over £100 extra on top of either of the other two cards, and im not sure the performance increase (if any) would justify the extra....

2.8ghz Pentium 4 "C"
Asus P4C800 Deluxe Motherboard
1gb Corsair Twinx PC3200
2x 120gb Western Digital (8mb Cache) in RAID 0
Ati Radeon 64mb DDR VIVO
3693 3DMarks (2001 SE Pro)

Really I think you can figure this out but;

Personal preference ATI9800PRO for straight gaming. Gigabyte will include a fair amount of stuff and so will ATI, it's not white box OEM. I'd stay away from PC's version. The only advantage I an see in the FXs would be potentially a VIVO option. Otherwise I'd stick with the ATIs and that's just my opinion.

Then again I think it is once again a perfect time for CoolSquirtle's pearls of wisdom;

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I second that.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
The benchmarks speak for themselves. Add to that all the controversy surrounding the performance of the Nvidia cards and I think it's an easy decision. You even save 10 pounds...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font color=red><b>STEP AWAY FROM THE CHEESE!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
and here it comes LOL

ENOUGH OF THIS!!!!

Everyone, go get urself a Matrox and praise it's Image quality LOL

okay seriously...........
ATi does not have better drivers than nVidia Period.
9800pro beats Fx5900Ultra in some tests
5900Ultra beats 9800 pro in some tests
fanAtics will disagree
nVidiots will disagree
Matrox fanboy --> Grape will disagree
crazy 3Dfx people thinks Voodoo 5 6000 and RAMPAGE will dominate the video market
I think you're all insane
Everyone has different opinions
different websites even have different benchmark results
different owners will have different problems
so?
what can u do?
use onboard video~~ LOL
(don't flame me)

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

dhlucke

Polypheme
Come on....enough with this bullshit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scottismo

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
God can I not ask peoples opinion these days without some people posting almost exactly what they have said in other threads? I told ya i have read other threads, and im NOT asking which one is better, i was enquiring what card you would buy if you had the choice i have. There's no need to flame. If i wanted to read about people complaining about all these posts about ati vs nvidia then i would go on to one of the other millions of threads out there. If you are fed up with those kind of threads then dont view them; the title of my thread was clear.

Oh and chill out guys :) Thanks for the advice from those that gave it...

2.8ghz Pentium 4 "C"
1gb Corsair Twinx PC3200
Ati Radeon 64mb DDR VIVO

Muneel

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
I'm not much experienced with the latest hardware tech but I have heard that the ATI cards have some 'backward compatibility issues', I guess that means you have to download patches to play older games? Thats one of the reasons I chose FX 5900 for my new rig.

Perhaps, I'm not reading the same thread as you but I don't see any serious flames here (well if I look out the window I can see the forest fires on the horizon!).

CoolSquirtle's post comes at my reuqest, an I'll take responsibility for that, however as much as you may be asking for opinions (and I gave mine including the fact that it's already out there) it's nothing new. We are always giving our opinions of the cards, so of course it will be "almost exactly what <i>we've</i> said in other threads". This question is almost exactly the same, etc. Heck even the title gives a bit of acknowledgment to that fact. So don't be surprised.

In the end I think it still comes down to a matter of YOUR personal choice, since the cards are so cloase in perf. and features. What do YOU value in the cards, and is that worth the extra coin? I don't think it'll get simpler than that.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
i feel guilty~~~~~LOL...... okay, i'm not feeling guilty, why?
cause the question that person is asking doesn't make sense all around~~

" Im not asking which one is better, unlike many ppl on forums, i do background research and read what ppl think of them. All im interested to know is if you had my PC Setup, what card would you buy seeing as there is little price difference between the two"

It has nothing to do with PC setups, pc setups only comes into play when the person is asking, is FX5900 too much for my sys? and u stated "what card would YOU buy" why do you think we choose what video cards we like? do u think, we just pick a colour and go out and buy the card in that colour?? (on a side note~~imagine pure white FX5900~~drools) we do research like u, and we find WHAT IS BETTER!! our decisions base on WHAT IS BETTER!!
basically your saying "I dont want to know which one is better, what what will u guys pick?" do u think people here are stupid?? of course we're gonna pick the better one. You're interal contradicting yourself.....sheeesh

and Grape what's afaik??

120% nVidia Fanboy

Scottismo

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Well its not quite contradictory. What i intended to do by asking you to say which one you would buy rather than which one is the best is because i wanted to avoid the which one is best situation. As someone stated earlier, they are both good cards that excel in different areas. I therefore only wanted to see what people go with and WHY.

Anyway don't worry too much about it. I also did this post on Futuremark forums and like here, the Radeon had the majority of peoples vote. Thanks for those who contributed :)

2.8ghz Pentium 4 "C"
1gb Corsair Twinx PC3200
Ati Radeon 64mb DDR VIVO

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
What did I do??? I just seconded Grape's opinion, finding it parallel with my own...

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I think he's refering to the fact that you cut and pasted the same thing which includes that bs about drivers.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
oh come on man, i'm just having some fun~~~ LOL

120% nVidia Fanboy

dhlucke

Polypheme
*pats squirrel on back*

I know you were. It's ok.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll give you $15 for your old card. I have a Radeon LE TVO, based on the same PCB.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
YAY~~~~~~ lol

120% nVidia Fanboy