Another "Display driver stopped responding" thread. 2 different PC's - 1 game

steff_godsmack

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
Hi guys!
I'm 28 old depressed guy, because it is the first time i can't handle computer problem.
For the last 20 years I managed to overcome every single problem with my home pc's, but not this one.
You are one of the best dudes here in Tom's Hardware. My happiness is now in your hands :D
1st you must know that I've tried everything that i saw on the internet for the last few weeks.
2nd you must now that I've tried this thing on two separate computer systems.
So. Lets begin! I have a R9 270x 4gb windforce GPU. I took it from my sister's PC, because she does not need it, and I was with HD6790. The GPU is bought from the store and it's barely after guarantee. My sister do not play games and do not searching for bitcoins. Only thing she does is watching movies.

I put this GPU on those computers:

1. processor i5 4460 (both computers) - one with blizzard T2 coller - other with stock
2. Asrock h97 annyversary (BIOS 1.60 - was 1.40, and when i updated it i was thinging that the problem will be gone) - it's not - the other one is - gygabite - h97 - hd3

3. 14 gb RAM - 1 combo (2x4) ddr3 1600 on slot 1 and 3, one (4gb) ddr3 1600, and 1 - (2gb ddr 1600). It's not the ram - the other pc that I tried this card on is with two 4gb 1600 vengence.

4. SSD - 120 gb, plus 2x750 HDD and 1- 350gb HDD - the other one was without ssd - only 1tb wd blue

5. PSU - VS550 corsair (the other one was 700watts cooler master)
6. DELL 1080 monitor (the other one was 1680-1050 samsung)
7. One with win10, other with 10, then changed to 7

I play witcher 3, metro 2033, bioshock 1 and 2, skyrm and everything is fine!
But when it comes to dota 2 - o boy. It's a DISASTER ! Ofcourse i play dota 2 mostly. FML right?

So what have i done on my pc - first specs? (my intel gpu is dissablede from bios)

1. Try uninstall the drivers with DDU, then install fresh ones (both 17.9.3 and 17.7.2)
2. Ragedit - TdrDelay = 8
3. High performance from power options.
4. DxDiag - everything seems fine - dx 12
5. Update BIOS from 1.40 to 1.60 via internet flash
6. Try cleaning registry files with auslogics registry cleaner
7. Monitorning CPU and GPU for overheating - they are not. GPU is 60 C - top
8. Try stressing my card with Unigine Heaven
9. Try lowering/highering GPU clock, memory clock, fan speed, power control
10. Try to play in borderless window mode, with or without vsync, anti-alising, high graphic settings, low graphic settings, 120 fps, 60 fps. - it does it both online and with bots.
11. I'm not using multiple monitors.
12. Re-install the game on different drive
13. I even tried to uninstall google chrome - i read it somewhere hah
14. My GPU is more cleaner than everything i've ever owned.
15. I close evertyhing before entering the game -it's not a background issue.
16. I completely formatted one HDD and clean install windows 7 on the second computer. Put the graphics on - same mother****ing issue.

I literally do not believe how this problem has touched thousands of people, and there is no sollution. Form 2007 to the end of 2017. With both nvidia and amd.

Sometimes it does it after 30 minutes of gaming, sometimes 1 hour. Sometimes after 3 seconds. I'm not a computer pro, I'm just a looser-user, so i beg for help.

I'm sure that I've tried some other thigs too, but right now i cant remember.
Ask anything you want, I will do everything to fix it including - throw my pc from 2nd floor, run naked in the centre of my city and more.

P.S. It's not about the game. I didnt play dota2 for one year. It's just.... i know there is a problem and i cant sleep normaly. I dream about this piece of garbage. And the worst part is - thousands of people has it - nobody know how to fix it.

It this the real life?

Solution
Have you tried both PSUs in the system with the issue?

Try installing afterburner, and underclocking the graphics card by 100mhz, to see if its just unstable at the clock speed its trying to run at.

Also, disable XMP if you have it enabled in the bios.

steff_godsmack

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

The screen freezes (on win10) the sound continues, then drops to desktop with "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" massage. Then you must kill the application from task manager. On win7 it goes black blank, then kick to desktop with the same message.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Have you tried both PSUs in the system with the issue?

Try installing afterburner, and underclocking the graphics card by 100mhz, to see if its just unstable at the clock speed its trying to run at.

Also, disable XMP if you have it enabled in the bios.

Solution

steff_godsmack

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

10x
I will see it today. I don't believe I got XMP enabled, but I will check it.
I test the card on both 550 and 700 watts PSU.
Some guy somewhere suggests to downcrease the RAM speed from 1600 to 1333, so I will try that too.