Another fabulous piece of RNG humour [NPP comp]

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So I'm tiptoeing around at 2550', still without relec or rcold. I'm now
at clev 31, thanks to taking out Uvatha for a whopping 13k xp. Within
the space of TWO minutes I find all three of the following:

Sling of Power (+11,+20) - my first ego sling all
game
Small Leather Shield of Resistance [3,+20] - my first rbase item
all game
Mace of the Elements (+7,+7) {acid AND poison} - my first rpois item
all game (and first double brand)

I have ID'd the sling and the shield, but not the mace (I'm carrying a
couple of other excellent weapons too). You can guess what happens next
- a Greater Basilisk appears round the corner and breathes poison. You
die. It was, literally, seconds after the mace pseudo-ID'd as
excellent.

The irony is that I had teleported this guy away earlier after it
surprised me with a nexus breath which nearly killed me. I had just
done a Detect Monsters, a couple of moves before dying, but it must
have been just offscreen at that point. DAMN the lack of circular areas
of effect. Not sure why the poison breath killed me but the nexus
breath didn't - I guess the damage must be worked out differently for
each.

Anyway, that's almost certainly the furthest I'll get before the end of
the month. Ironically I'm less unhappy about this death than about my
other three best attempts (ie. those which got past 500') - one killed
by a hydra pit, one by a player ghost (both of which have been pointed
out to Jeff as a tad unbalanced), and one by that funny possible bug
with the quadruple hit from the diamond gems. This one was essentially
killed by the spell area of effect being the current screen. I really
do dislike that. It should be a circle (or rather, a square, given
*band's non-Euclidian geometry) centred on the player.

Ho hum. So, Jeff - when is 0.5.0 coming out? I'm dying to try your
randarts!

CC

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

magnate wrote:
> I have ID'd the sling and the shield, but not the mace (I'm carrying
> couple of other excellent weapons too). You can guess what happens
next
> - a Greater Basilisk appears round the corner and breathes poison.
You
> die. It was, literally, seconds after the mace pseudo-ID'd as
> excellent.

There's a kind of poetry about that.

My latest (and I think last) was kind of poetic too, but my own fault.
I had already encountered Kavlax in a lesser vault. I opened it, he
breathed gravity - luckily blinking me out of LoS, and I escaped.
Approached vault again, didn't account for how fast he was and left
detecting too long, he breathed confusion - but again I survived, both
the breath and a teleport staff failure. Third time, I detected every
turn as I approached. Eventually I was in a room, he was two steps
down the corridor from the doorway. I was on 323/347 HP. So I knew if
he got 3 moves he could step, step, breathe. I had 2 !CCW, but didn't
want to waste one, so used my turn casting CLW, which took me to
332/347. He went step, step, breathe gas, and I'm -14. So had I
quaffed a !CCW, I would have been on 1HP.

> Not sure why the poison breath killed me but the nexus
> breath didn't - I guess the damage must be worked out differently for
> each.

Poison damage is 1/3 of monster HP, capped at 800. Nexus damage is 1/6
of monster HP, capped at (can't quite remember) 400 or 500.

Nick.

"magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Ho hum. So, Jeff - when is 0.5.0 coming out? I'm dying to try your
> randarts!

We are just starting NPP 0.5.0. I would imagine it will be 3 months at the
earliest.

But, the randart code was completed in the 0.4.x series, you just can't see it
because the competition is an artifactless character. If you play a normal game
you will see the new randarts.

-Jeff