Another first timers questions

jamen

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Been lurking here for a while and could use alittle help. I am planning on building a new computer, main use will be usual internet and email. I would like to have quality sound and video for DVD and music also. Here's what I have come up with(all from mwave):

mobo- MSI K8N Neo Platinum $110
cpu- 3700+ San Diego $228
ram- 1G Corsair Twin X1042 $106
case- Antec Sonata ll w/450 power supply $99
dvdrw- NEC 3550 $40
floppy- Mitsumi 7 in 1 reader $20
hdd- Western Digital 250gb sata300 16mb $115
sound- Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi $107
video- eVGA geforce 6800 GS $194
software- XP Home

Total cost is $1150 w/out shipping. Right around my budget of $1200. I will reuse my current monitor and upgrade to 20" LCD in future as well as keyboard. My old stuff isn't worth swapping out into new box.

I may O/C in future. I think everything can take it????
Any thoughts on having them test and assemble for another $80, in case I chicken out! :lol:

Thanks for your help

Jeff

pat

Expert
Asus A8R-MVP had hi-def onboard sound and its based on the ATI chipset that don't have chipset fan that may start to make noise in 3 month and die in 6 months. This is something you'll want to conside for a quiet PC since you plan to use it for quiet task. You may try the onboard sound and find to be quite pleased with it. If you can find a nice video card that perform good without having a fan, that would be good too..

Samsung HDD are quite goood, quiet and fast. I now use them and prefer them to WD. Seagate are good, and has 5 years warranty. But now, I hate my 2 seagate that are the noisiest thing in my case..

jamen

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Thanks for the response. I read about the fan noise/ problems in some reviews and was leary about it. How about the Abit K8n SLI? I prefer this one over non SLI Abit because of the fire wire.

Thanks
Jeff

Special-Forces

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
You seem to have a lot of high end specs in there for just the "usual" internet/e-mail tasks. And going to SLI seems pointless unless you plan on playing games and using it as a high end gaming computer.

I wouldn't go so high with the graphics card or with the RAM since you don't play on using it for gaming. :wink:

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
do NOT get the 6800gs. if yo dont intend to go sli, x800gto and overclock is better, if u really want a good graphic card. zzp has the san diego for a few bucks less. get the lite-on dvd-rw from newegg for 45

for 80 bucks, hell no. DIY.

jamen

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Thanks for everyone suggestions. I chose the SLI board only because it had fire wire compared to Abits non SLI board. I am trying to build for the "now" and still have options for the "future", like dual core. I put high end specs because the price of a local builder is about the same price($1200) with lesser components, and the same for DELL.

Thanks again for the help
Jeff

Special-Forces

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Just for the record there are other boards such as ASUS (which I like and use myself) that has non-SLI with firewire. Just thought I would let you know.