[SOLVED] Another Floppy to 4pin Incident

Releven

Prominent
Jan 31, 2021
Hello Tom'sHardware,

I red bunch of threads here about people connecting floppy to 4 pins and that's exactly what I did before reading them. So here's what I did:

I had to change my case b/c my gpu didn't fit into it and the new case came with 2 fans that have molex connectors. My other 2 fans -that I bought separately for the first case- have 4 pin connectors and PMW function which I really liked. So it was a bummer that these new fans have molex connectors and my mobo does not. Then I remembered the floppy cable that came with the PSU (I didn't know what it was then) and for some weird reason I thought it is a molex to 4 pin adapter (if such thing exists).

So I connected the fans together (they have male and female headers) and plug them to the molex end of floppy, then plugged the floppy to the 4 pin cha_fan. I have to say that felt odd but I did it anyway ( this is my first pc built and first case really got me frustrated, then rebuilding again without a rest left me susceptible to irrational behaviour). When I pressed the power button nothing happened other than a noise from the PSU. But I didn't stop there. I unplugged the floppy and plugged it to the other 4 pin which is aio_pump. Again, I pressed the power button and nothing happened, no boot just a noise from the PSU. Sort of a click noise to be precise.

After that I unplugged floppy and plug my fans directly to the PSU and I've been using my computer without any issue ever since. This was about 2-3 weeks ago.

Now my question is, -after reading all those horror stories here where people fried their psu, mobo or even multiple components of their build- if I decide to change my fans and get PMW fans, will it be safe for me to use those 4 pin sockets on my mobo ?

I am writing everything related with my build because I am not sure which of the components will aid you:

MOBO - Asus Prime B460I-Plus,
PSU - Corsair TX-650M (I am guessing this one saved me, if so I'm so glad I spend an extra to it.),
CPU - Intel Core i3-10100F,
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2x8 GB 3000 Mhz (CP16 if I remember correctly),
CASE - Aerocool Menace Saturn FRGB and 2 horrible fans that came with it,
GPU - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 5600-XT,
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2 TB,
SSD - SanDisk Ultra 3D NVMe 500 GB,

Also I have a APC Schneider voltage regulator plugged to my wall socket. I really appreciate if you read this far. If it is not safe to use those sockets, I am open to all sorts of suggestions regarding; getting new fans or changing a component etc.

Solution
Think you will be fine, that a protection feature of the psu kicked in, but you can only test in the end. If the misuse of those pins/connectors would have given problems would your system likely not have been booting fine after the event.
Hello Tom'sHardware,

I red bunch of threads here about people connecting floppy to 4 pins and that's exactly what I did before reading them. So here's what I did:

I had to change my case b/c my gpu didn't fit into it and the new case came with 2 fans that have molex connectors. My other 2 fans -that I bought separately for the first case- have 4 pin connectors and PMW function which I really liked. So it was a bummer that these new fans have molex connectors and my mobo does not. Then I remembered the floppy cable that came with the PSU (I didn't know what it was then) and for some weird reason I thought it is a molex to 4 pin adapter (if such thing exists).

So I connected the fans together (they have male and female headers) and plug them to the molex end of floppy, then plugged the floppy to the 4 pin cha_fan. I have to say that felt odd but I did it anyway ( this is my first pc built and first case really got me frustrated, then rebuilding again without a rest left me susceptible to irrational behaviour). When I pressed the power button nothing happened other than a noise from the PSU. But I didn't stop there. I unplugged the floppy and plugged it to the other 4 pin which is aio_pump. Again, I pressed the power button and nothing happened, no boot just a noise from the PSU. Sort of a click noise to be precise.

After that I unplugged floppy and plug my fans directly to the PSU and I've been using my computer without any issue ever since. This was about 2-3 weeks ago.

Now my question is, -after reading all those horror stories here where people fried their psu, mobo or even multiple components of their build- if I decide to change my fans and get PMW fans, will it be safe for me to use those 4 pin sockets on my mobo ?

I am writing everything related with my build because I am not sure which of the components will aid you:

MOBO - Asus Prime B460I-Plus,
PSU - Corsair TX-650M (I am guessing this one saved me, if so I'm so glad I spend an extra to it.),
CPU - Intel Core i3-10100F,
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2x8 GB 3000 Mhz (CP16 if I remember correctly),
CASE - Aerocool Menace Saturn FRGB and 2 horrible fans that came with it,
GPU - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 5600-XT,
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2 TB,
SSD - SanDisk Ultra 3D NVMe 500 GB,

Also I have a APC Schneider voltage regulator plugged to my wall socket. I really appreciate if you read this far. If it is not safe to use those sockets, I am open to all sorts of suggestions regarding; getting new fans or changing a component etc.
The only thing you need to take into acc is the amount of 4pin and 3pin headers your mobo has

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think you will be fine, that a protection feature of the psu kicked in, but you can only test in the end. If the misuse of those pins/connectors would have given problems would your system likely not have been booting fine after the event.

Solution

Releven

Prominent
Jan 31, 2021
That's what I thought, it was probably my psu that saved the day. Do you know any safe/safeish way to test it or do I have to risk something?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Just connect a fan to the 4 pin header used. Think you'll be fine, see no reason why you wouldn't be, as said do not think the pc would have worked when something was wrong. Think if something was wrong the psu protection would kick in again, but cannot be 100% sure (to keep me free of liability).

Releven

Prominent
Jan 31, 2021
Just connect a fan to the 4 pin header used. Think you'll be fine, see no reason why you wouldn't be, as said do not think the pc would have worked when something was wrong. Think if something was wrong the psu protection would kick in again, but cannot be 100% sure (to keep me free of liability).
Alright, I agree with that. Thank you for the advice, I am marking this as answered.

And ofc, no liabilities here. Peace

Reactions: Vic 40