Question Another HDD SMART question

shafted

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
HDD is old and was in a fire, one of the few that didn't melt. Crystal Disk is showing a caution. I think it would be OK for non critical files but would like other opinions. Seems to be very different interpretations for SMART values. This drive had no errors before the fire. Now reallocated sectors is 199/199 threshold 140 raw value of 1. Which is how many sectors? crystal disk snapshot

I think it would be OK for non critical files

Why wouldn't it be?

What's the worst case scenario?

You lose a bunch of files you don't care about?

All dependent on your personal definition of "non critical".

I'd replace it, but I could certainly understand why you wouldn't.....pending your definition of non critical. It's speculation when it will totally fail and more speculation about its replacement. Maybe you have a better place to spend the cost of a replacement,

Last edited:

shafted

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
I really just wondered about the smart values, it's hard to find anything about what the values actually mean. Raw data of 1. Does that mean 1 block or sector? Current value of 199 and threshold of 140? After a total loss house fire, I'll probably use it and the other survivor for secondary backups from a hot swap bay and put them in a fireproof encasing. I had multiple backups and PC's. Out of 6 PC's with 2-4 HDD each, only 2 HDDs survived and a 120GB SSD. My thinking was always they aren't online at the same time and had plenty of backups in case one failed or ransomware. Never even thought about a fire. Both those that survived had no errors before. but do now. They got hot enough it burned the paper on the front. One said needed it needed formatted- data was gone and the other was just movies. Both show about the same error now. The one I had to format seems OK also.

shafted

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
Your drive has spared 1 sector. The other problem is that the read error rate is non-zero.
Yeah, but read error has a value of 64, threshold of 51, current and worst is 200. so higher than 51 is OK then? There are no reliable guides on what the raw data really means. Seems most of the info is speculation. I'm currently using both drives primarily as a second backups of hard to find or now non-existent programs in 2 different PC's. Doesn't do me any good in case of fire, but good self protection from ransomware. The disks are in the PC's, and another backup is on Gold enterprise drive I use in hot swap bays once a week.
The values don't change except for the ones that should (hours, etc) so little to lose. I just hate the thought of pitching them while the seem to be working OK.