[SOLVED] Another help with build thread

lpw7836

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018
So, I'm looking to build my first computer. I actually have until summer to buy the parts, as I'm overseas right now, so I can wait for sales and such. I just don't really know what to get. It'll be used for some gaming, and probably some streaming and light video editing. Price isn't really an issue, although I'd like to save as much as I can.

I don't really like RGB, but some subdued stuff is okay.

CPU: I already bought a Ryzen 7 2700x, it was about 80 dollars off when I got it. Looking at the AMD leaks I may have jumped the gun, but it should suffice. It's the only part I currently have apart from the cooler it comes with.

Case: I like the Corsair Air 540. I like the looks, the compartmentalization, and the fact that it has an optical drive bay. Second place is the Cooler Master H500. But I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Air 540.

Motherboard: I like how the Asus 470x Prime Pro looks. But if I'm not overclocking or anything, do I really need an x470 board? I was also looking at the b450 Tomahawk and the like. I do like the extra IO on the Prime though...

GPU: Here's where I'm really lost. I was just going to grab an RX 580 since they're cheap, and I don't mind playing games on low. But there's so many cards. Is the extra performance really worth the extra money? Then the AMD leaks came out, and if the high end Navi is really 250 dollars and comparable with the Vega 64 and the 1080, I may have to attempt to wrangle one of them when they come out. Maybe even two, if crossfire is still a thing. I might need the x470 for crossfire though. Are any games even optimized for Crossfire any more?

Cooler: I was just going to use the Wraith Prism. It doesn't seem too bad, and I doubt I'll be overworking it.

PSU: Something appropriate for whatever parts I decide on.

RAM: I don't know. The last one I looked at was the G.Skill Ripjaws V at 3000 or 3200 MHz. They seemed nice? I was planning on getting an 8x2 kit, then possibly another kit if I find I need more.

Fans: Both of the cases I like come with apparently decent stock fans, so I think I'm good here.

Memory: I was going to get a 256 GB or 512 GB NVMe M.2, a probably 1 TB SSD, and maybe a big ol' hard drive somewhere down the line.

I want a blu-ray player too. Just because.

I'm assuming I'll need a streaming card or something if I want to stream console games.

Edit: It appears I missed a build help format thing.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, but I'll figure that out down the line. I was thinking about getting two. One "gaming" monitor, you know, with the high refresh rate and all that, and one that actually looks good.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: The one with the best prices.

Location: The only stores near where I live that have computer parts are a Best Buy and maybe Walmart? I've never looked for parts there.

Parts Preferences: Whatever is compatible and works well

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not, but who knows?

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p, I'm cheap.

Thanks again.

I think that's it. Let me know if I missed anything, and thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
I have a RX 580 4gb with a Ryzen 2600 and I have now problem running games on high/ultra @2560x1080P/75hz (21:9). For the PSU get something good as it's the most important part of the build, the Seasonic Focus Gold 650W would be a great choice for your build and future upgrades, also the quality is excellent and comes with a 10 year warranty.
The 580 will allow you run run games on high or epic settings. I suggest you google “RX 580 ryzen 7 2700x” and there will likely be some videos of gameplay in different games, as well as frames and game settings. The R7 2700x is a superb chip, and will last at least 4 years imo. Unless you’re running CAD simulations or doing a ton of math, 16 gigs of RAM is fine.

WildCard999

Titan
I have a RX 580 4gb with a Ryzen 2600 and I have now problem running games on high/ultra @2560x1080P/75hz (21:9). For the PSU get something good as it's the most important part of the build, the Seasonic Focus Gold 650W would be a great choice for your build and future upgrades, also the quality is excellent and comes with a 10 year warranty.

Solution
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4 GB Dual Video Card ($274.10 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.73 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $840.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-07 13:44 EST-0500

lpw7836

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018

Are there any particular reasons you chose the parts you did? I mean, they do all fit the requirements I stated (apart from the case) but I suppose I'm looking more for information on why people would recommend/ not recommend certain parts rather than a list you pulled off of PC Part Picker.

1. The Tomahawk has good power delivery for the 2700x and I agree with your choice in the OP.
2. That LPX kit works great with Ryzen.
3. Samsung is the best for solid state storage.
4. The RX 580 seems to line up with your budget in original post and fits aesthetic of the build. There isn't enough performance difference between manufacturers of the same make and model, so I either go with best price or aesthetic.
5. The focus G is a great affordable case that has excellent air flow. As far as i'm concerned it's the best in it's class/price range. I added a fan below for exhaust.
6. SeaSonic & EVGA power supplies are of better quality and are my go to for system buids.

I've built around a dozen computers, so I know a thing or two about quality components:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4 GB Dual Video Card ($274.10 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.73 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - FD-FAN-SSLL-120-WT 41.8 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $847.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-07 14:08 EST-0500

You've got time to window shop. Take it.

If rumors are true, you can probably skip the RX580 cards and just grab a Navi based RX 30xx based card. (rumors place great pricing with good thermals and performance enough where you may be able to get something close to a Vega card about as cheap as a 580 or 590 is now. We all will probably know more factually by the time you're ready to place your money down on the counter for it.

From my experience, Best Buy has little in store, and Walmart has even less in store. Doesn't mean you can't order it online from them. If you don't mind mail-order there are good resellers out there too.

The B450 boards can be a nice board... with a few less features and connections. Beware some don't do Crossfire, and none do SLI. You'll need an X470 (maybe an X570 by then) board for SLI. Something to think about if at the time you buy it, NVidia has something you want instead.

With modern games, you may want to consider a GPU card with 8GB of RAM minimum. 4-6GB as an absolute minimum.

lpw7836

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018

Thank you for clarifying. I wasn't saying that you don't know your stuff, it's just that a list of parts doesn't really help me much. I'm trying to learn at the same time.

I honestly don't really have a budget. I'll have a good amount of money, I just don't want to spend it unneccisarily. Besides on the case I like.

I have until summer before I can actually build anything, so I do want to wait on hearing about the Navi before deciding on a GPU.

And I'm sure it's a nice case, but I really do want to stick with the Corsair Air 540. Unless you have a reason besides possibly being a little overpriced for it being bad.

But thank you for all of your help.

WildCard999

Titan
If you really aren't building by next summer then wait and ask this question about two weeks before your ready to buy. By then 3rd gen Ryzen could be out as well as AMD Navi and I'm sure the recommendations we give you today will be different by the time your ready to build.

lpw7836

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018

Yeah, I'll be here in the middle east until then. I just wanted to know some things somewhat in advance, so I can look for good deals/sales.

I did jump the gun on buying my processor, but I think the 2700x will still be a good one for me. The Navi sounds a bit too good to be true from the leaks though...

lpw7836

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018

In terms of looks, I have to say it's very appealing. But every time I see a tempered glass (or acrylic) front panel it makes me sad.

If I was going for a small form factor I'd probably go for the Air 240. For some reason I really like the...grill? I'm not sure what you'd call the plastic ridges.

WildCard999

Titan

Yea the 2700X will still be relevant and as for Navi the leaks always sound way good to be true, just wait for the reviews. If they are quite the step up in performance then it's something to consider as the price of Freesync monitors are like $200 cheaper then Gsync (Nvidia) and can help out with screen tearing/stuttering as it's a form of adaptive sync. In the meantime it's always a good idea to check out TH's every once in awhile to keep up on tech stuff.

lpw7836

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018

I like the Cooler Master H500. Something about the 200mm fans appeals to me.

But the Air 540 is still in the lead for me.

Though you have to wonder how they both came up with the same name. Though I suppose CM did it first with the H500P.

lpw7836

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018
So this is just a small update. I've bought a few components, but I still can't build until July.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TDwLBb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TDwLBb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased)
CPU Cooler: AMD - Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased) ((It's actually a Wraith Prism))
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($161.36 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Special Edition Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($141.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($62.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $813.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-22 17:40 EST-0500

If the Navi is out by the time I get back, then I'll probably get one of them. There'll probably be some price gouging/shortages right when it comes out, so who knows. Otherwise, an RX 580 will work for me.

I know I don't need an NVMe SSD, but... I've got to use that M.2 slot for something, right? I mean, I could get a SATA M.2, but meh. If I find a deal on a 1TB by July I'll snap it up. If not, I'll get the regular SSD.

lpw7836

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018

Because they won't be on christmas sales in July.

But really, I'm just bored. I've been deployed to a desk in the desert. So I'm wasting money on what will be last year's hardware. Wooo.

It'll still work.

TRENDING THREADS