another LAN monitoring question

Hello, everyone. I have noticed that this group gets a lot of requests
like the one I'm about to make, but I'm having trouble understanding a
lot of it. I would appreciate some help or advice.

Basically, I would like to to monitor our small LAN and be able to tell
who is uploading big files via FTP, HTTP, email, etc.

Is there a simple utility that can help me do this? I currently use
LinkLogger to monitor traffic requests, which is great because I can
tell that 192.168.1.203 does 85% of the web surfing. However, I can't
tell if 192.168.1.183 spends all day uploading a few hundred MB of data
to an FTP site, because LinkLogger doesn't monitor volume (I don't
think). PRTG is another great program I use to monitor internet
bandwidth usage. I can definitely see when someone is sending
something big, but it doesn't tell me who.

We have a single DSL modem, a LinkSys VPN router, and about 30 devices
behind that on a few unmanaged switches.

Thanks for reading to the end. If anyone has any suggestions, I would
really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Joseph

In article <1118934784.498126.84210@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Joseph O'Brien <obrien1984@hotmail.com> wrote:
:Basically, I would like to to monitor our small LAN and be able to tell
:who is uploading big files via FTP, HTTP, email, etc.

:We have a single DSL modem, a LinkSys VPN router, and about 30 devices
:behind that on a few unmanaged switches.

For monitoring consumer devices, espcially LinkSys, try WallWatcher .

Note: I've been having a bit of trouble with WallWatcher from time
to time: the monitoring part of it keeps running but the UI quits.
When I then try to restart the UI, it complains the program is
already running... I have found that sometimes when this happens,
I have to remove the old install directory and reinstall.
not tried it. -- Donald Knuth

Hi Walt,
Regarding the UI problem: Are you running the current version of
WallWatcher (3.2.22, since early June, 2005)? If so, could you contact
me directly with some of the details (please use the address on WW's
Help screen, not the unmonitored newsgroup address). Thanks,

Thanks for your reply. I ended up bypassing technology on this one and
just asked everyone in our organization to send me an email before
uploading a file. Worked like a charm. I was able to confirm my
suspicion that someone somewhere was doing a lot of uploading (thus
hampering our download speed). Imagine that!

Thanks anyway for your reply. I will keep WallWatcher in mind for
future projects.

Joseph