another land question

firstly, thanks to everyone who answered my last question. I'm only a
casual player who just started playing a couple weeks ago and am
building my first decks so I'm not worried about specific tournament
rules.

My second land question is, if a land says that you can add 1 mana to
your mana pool, does that mean you can use it as any color mana or is
it just colorless mana?

thanks in advance

tammy wrote:

> firstly, thanks to everyone who answered my last question. I'm only a
> casual player who just started playing a couple weeks ago and am
> building my first decks so I'm not worried about specific tournament
> rules.
>
> My second land question is, if a land says that you can add 1 mana to
> your mana pool, does that mean you can use it as any color mana or is
> it just colorless mana?
>
> thanks in advance

You're paraphrasing the card, and not identifying it. That makes it
difficult to answer the question, as answers often depend on the exact
wording of the card. Assuming the card says:

{Tap} : Add {1} to your mana pool.

then it's just colorless mana. It cannot be used to fulfill any
color mana requirements.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

It is only colourless mana

Jonathan

"tammy" <tazban1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
firstly, thanks to everyone who answered my last question. I'm only a
casual player who just started playing a couple weeks ago and am
building my first decks so I'm not worried about specific tournament
rules.

My second land question is, if a land says that you can add 1 mana to
your mana pool, does that mean you can use it as any color mana or is
it just colorless mana?

thanks in advance

Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn tammy just said...
> firstly, thanks to everyone who answered my last question. I'm only a
> casual player who just started playing a couple weeks ago and am
> building my first decks so I'm not worried about specific tournament
> rules.
>
> My second land question is, if a land says that you can add 1 mana to
> your mana pool, does that mean you can use it as any color mana or is
> it just colorless mana?

Depends how the card is worded. If it's a 1 in a grey circle, like you
might see as part of a cost, then that would be colorless mana. (I'm
pretty sure this is what you mean, but it's not completely clear from
your wording.)

If it's not, then read the card more carefully and all will become
clear; it probably says something like "Add one mana to your mana pool
of any colour that..." or something similar. It will say clearly on the
card what colours it can produce (or what determines this), but a
linebreak in the wrong place can sometimes keep this from being
immediately obvious.

On 16 Apr 2005 10:55:14 -0700, tammy <tazban1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>firstly, thanks to everyone who answered my last question. I'm only a
>casual player who just started playing a couple weeks ago and am
>building my first decks so I'm not worried about specific tournament rules.
>
>My second land question is, if a land says that you can add 1 mana to
>your mana pool, does that mean you can use it as any color mana or is
>it just colorless mana?

We don't have mana that "can be used as any color"; all Magic has is colored
mana, and colorless mana. Colored mana can pay the appropriate colored mana
cost, or can pay a generic cost (number or X in grey circle); colorless mana
can only pay a generic cost.

If a land says to add one colorless mana to your mana pool, that's what it
means - colorless mana can't pay a colored cost. If a land uses "1" in a
circle, that's the same as "one colorless mana" - if it's referring to mana,
rather than to a cost, it's colorless rather than generic.

Just remember - generic costs can be paid with any mana, colored or colorless;
colored costs can ONLY be paid with the appropriate colored mana.

Dave