Another noob looking for input on his first PC build :)

Tie_Kuhn

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Hey everyone,
I'm going to be building my first PC this summer and wanted some input on the items I've chosen so far. I plan on using this PC for gaming and general usage. I'll be playing GTA, Planet Coaster, and may get into FPS games although I play those on the Xbox for now. I'll also be multi-monitoring with this rig, gaming on one screen and watching netflix or twitch on the other. I do plan on overclocking the CPU and GPU once its all setup.

I've attached a link to the parts list on PCpartpicker and would appreciate any and all input. I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible while still have the 980Ti as I'd like this build to last. The LE version is only, relatively speaking, 530$ on newegg right now after rebate. I'm aware this version isn't as overclockable as the others, but I think I'd be more than satisfied with it and don't know if the extra 100+ dollars is worth maybe 10-20% performance increase.

For now, I'm not really worried about the look of everything, and am more interested in performance and function. Eventually I'd like to get an SSD and do custom cable sleeves but the rig got expensive fast. Let me know what you all think and thanks for any help in advance! EDIT: Also, if I should be waiting for something new to come out soon I'd love some insight as I don't really follow the PC hardware industry. Thanks everyone

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WbLryc

Solution

No. K means Unlocked Multiplier .ie you can overclock it. non k is not overclockable. if price is not an issue get an i7 6700k. orelse if u want to save some get an i5 6600 non k. Eventhough it doesnt have an unlocked...

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
R9 390x will give the better performance in dx 12 and its has better price to performance ratio than gtx 980ti. Nvidia struggles to run the dx 12 games and driver optimization is also not so good in dx 12.Recent games may run with the i5 6600k but for at least 2 years of gaming i prefer to choose an in K 0r Non k thats up to you.Also SSD doesnt offer that much performance increase. It just boots the system faster and load the games .It doesnt concern with FPS

Tie_Kuhn

Commendable
May 5, 2016
thanks for the input parani. I just saw that the new Nvidia cards will be coming out soon so I'll be waiting for those. Not sure if I'll save up for the 1080 or just get a 1070 and maybe do SLI later on if need be.

in regards to processors, I'm kind of confused about your recommendations. what's an in K? a non K is the same version as the K that can't be overclocked, correct? If I'm going to buy a 300+ dollar processor I would personally like to spend a little extra and learn to overclock later on down the line.

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015

No. K means Unlocked Multiplier .ie you can overclock it. non k is not overclockable. if price is not an issue get an i7 6700k. orelse if u want to save some get an i5 6600 non k. Eventhough it doesnt have an unlocked multiplier you can overclock it with baseclock (bclk) overclocking and RAM overclocking to match the performance of 6700k in games that doesnt get benefit form hyperthreating. Or even without overclocking the processor frequency ,overclocking the ddr4 ram upto 4mhz (rare) but 3.6 is quit stable , you can match the performance of 6700k.(again, the game thats doesnt actually gets benefit from hyperthreating) .ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING is best mobo and for OC. Actually ASUS have high QC maintenance

Solution