Another NOOB question

nooby

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
i check the FAQ again, and it sort of answered one of my questions, but not exactly. Can i use DDR ram on a motherboard that says it supports DDR2 memory? I check the FAQ's and it only said that DDR2 cant be used in DDR motherboards.... so im confused

Thanx again for the help
Nooby

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
no, DDR, DDR2, SDR (i read and commented on your other question) are all physically different at the slot interface. none of them will work with any other. the only exception to this is that upcoming socket F opterons will be able to support DDR2 and DDR3 ram, BUT, the motherboard will have to have the different slots for each individually (DDR or DDR3). and some motherboards do have different slots for DDR or DDR2 ram. but you cannot force a DDR stick into a DDR2 or SDR slot. or any other combination.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It might be easier to assist if you told us what you already own or what specifically you are considering buying. And, this may not be the info you are looking for but, there are some MOBOs made that have 2 different types of memory slots to give the user flexibility in the memory they can use. So, do you already own hardware or are you trying to figure out the terminology so you can shop?