Another one bites the dust!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Chevy Venture mini-vans can be driven without coolent as well (for up to 50 miles).

I don't know what kind of car AMDMELTDOWN drives (don't know if he is old enough to drive), but I guess now he will have to sell his car and get either the Ford or Chevy that has thermal protection.

AMDMELTDOWN, does your car have thermal protection?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
is there an echo in this thread? why is everybody repeating what the last person said?

also, this didn't happen to me! read it and get a clue or it will happen to YOU!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs!"

G

You can't get too much of a good thing :)

This is why I thought that slot processors were better - the heatsink stood upright in a tower case so even if the clips fell off it still might do some cooling. Ah well, maybe I can find a slocket for an AMD system and make my Thunderbird run on a slot a board. (Yeah yeah I know they don't exist).

Guess we could all use desktop cases again? :0

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better. ~

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
actually you <i>can</i> get too much of a good thing - thermal compound at least! if you have lots it will actually <i>insulate</i> the cpu!

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not think half the people actually read what started this thread. just a bunch of AMD lemmings chiming in like clockwork. brainless as they are.

AMDmeltdowns point is even tho you have masters degree in CS, AMD is still a POS. The current design makes the chip have a lifespan of a bic lighter.

If cheap is what you want, cheap is what you got.

Kinda funny that alot of people thought kyle was you and you burnt your own CPU out =P. clueless AMD lemmings at work.

BTW grizely1, all the thermal compund in the world will not correct the lack of thermal protection in AMD processors. GG

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
BTW grizely1, all the thermal compund in the world will not correct the lack of thermal protection in AMD processors. GG
you're the one who needs to stay on topic. I never said anything of the sort. That would actually reverse the process and make it heat even faster1 *DUMMIE*

EDIT:
Oh and thanks for telling us that AKI for the billionth time, like we don't know. I even admitted it was a stupid thing to do, although I could care less if the CPU i bought had thermal protection. sorry, when i buy a cpu i don't look to see if it has thermal protection :tongue:

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Grizely1 on 03/05/01 05:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
Gee... I was wondering how long it would take Fugger to get involved in this Anti-AMD post. And they call us lemmings.
"MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD. MUST BASH AMD"

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You just like to pound aholes. you said it not me. Hey whatever tickles your balls man. Well while you and fugger pound away on eachothers asses, pausing only briefly to give eachother reach arounds and wipe the crap off the corners of your mouths, I'll still be at home running my thunderbird 800 at 1133 and being damn glad I didn't spend the extra money on an inferior product. Thermal protection or no, athlons perform better. I have built many p3's at work and they're good stable chips, but no better than athlons and they cost more and perform worse on nearly every application.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
AMD lemmings?
whatever happened to the AMD puppies? or intel indiots?
sorry, but you and amdmeltdown call THG biased, he is as biased as you are un-biased :)

Jump, Jump Now!!

G

Any decently educated person foolin' around with an AMD would know that it generally runs hotter and would attain the adequate cooling equipment required, for relatively low amounts of money, and use it! The same thing has most likely happened to an Intel user too, they are already running their cpu too hot, because they don't know what kind of cooling they need, and their current cooling breaks down and their chip fries!

Your "point" here (whatever poor excuse it may be for a point) is useless.

G

some of your post makes sense but you really must make sure you are not living in a glass house before you throw stones... you used the word ATTAIN when the correct word (in context) is OBTAIN...... sorry!

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
its hilarious how we all go back and forth(kicking and scratching) over AMD and Intel. I prefer to go w/AMD because of price, performance, + the fun of oc'ing it. I read about lots of people who have heat and stability problems with Athlons, and I'm sure they're valid claims, but I have yet to experience them. What it all comes down to in the end is that AMD and Intel(especially Intel) are just greedy corps. that just take your money. They're not like sports teams you can root for(although they take your $$$ too.LOL) oh well, that's life.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Isn't it interesting how a person can submit a completely intelligent post and before the day is through, it becomes a name-calling idiotic frenzy with no intellectual content whatsoever?

It's funny, but it's sad. The idealism of a forum seems to have been long lost because it's an open forum and any idiot can have their say, no matter how mindless it is.

For example, I could go on for hours pointing out how stupid some people represent themselves in the above posts. But I won't. Because they're only going to respond with the same stupidity and that gets boring. Appearance you can fix with plastic surgery. Ignorance you can change with learning. But stupidity is forever, and I'm just tired of dealing with stupid people.

I agree though, AMD chips need thermal protection. Not because we expect to run them without heat sinks properly attached, but because accidents happen. The world is not the ideal place that we would all like it to be. If I spend over a grand on a new system, that system better darn well give me every insurance against breaking. And since most of us here don't buy from OEMs, that means that the insurance has to come in the form of things like thermal protection because we won't be seeing any 3 year complete system waranties.

And hopefully soon AMD chips will have this, and have multiple-CPU system support. I'd like to see it. Then (at least for the chips out today) AMD really will fit all of my needs. But there in itself is the catch, because future chips may themselves be considerably more interesting than current chips. So for either system to be 'the best' they have to win all categories. Heh heh. I just don't see that happening.

I see instead that both companies will be producing chips that meet the needs of individuals, not the entire computing genre wholely.

Though while I too get tired of hearing the same old deficiencies in both AMD and Intel systems, I thought this was a rather interesting post to see that someone who runs a professional business working with PCs can make a mistake.

I think that was the most important piece of information that anyone could take away from this post. Not that AMD chips need thermal protection. We all know that. Instead we could learn that each of us has the potential to do something stupid and each piece of hardware has the potential to at some time break. Crap happens. It's a good thing to learn because none of us are perfect.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.