Another one of those threads.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hi everyone :hello:

I am buying my computer by the end of this week :D and I need to now ASAP what GPU configuration I should get.

I will be gaming at 1080p on a 24" monitor ( http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS248H/ ) and would like to know your opinions.

What should I get?

2 x 560 Ti's in SLI.

1 x 580 with no plans of future SLI.

I want to max (I mean MAX out to the limits) out every current game and future games (BF3, MW3, Skyrim ect...). So taking into account my monitor resolution, would you suggest a 580 or 2 x 560 Ti's in SLI?

Thanks and please bomb bard me with opinions, links and comments.

Solution
Get 2 x 560ti 2gb models , faster and better than a single GTX 580 and will keep you good for awile, the 2gb vram will come in handy with the newer games.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the link but it doesn't entirely helpful for my situation. I will be gaming at 1080p and 1920x1080p.

I was very happy with 560 Ti SLI but then you said that 1GB + 1GB doesn't add up to 2GB :(

Could you provide me a link for ^THAT^

Thanks and if I were going to get 560 Ti's in SLI would you recommend the Hawk?

Thanks!

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
That's a good review to show that even at those very high resolutions, the 3GB doesn't benefit much; just imagine on a lower resolution.

Just search Google and you will find that the VRAM does not stack.

The MSI Hawk cards are great, you can't go wrong with those.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I know but I like looks of Hawk edition and it doesn't come in 2GB variations. Will 1GB x 2 suffice for my needs? Also they don't have the 2GB models at my store www.pccasegear.com

I don't really understand Vram but would like to.

So this is what I am pending on:

2 x MSI 1GB 560 Ti's in SLI (Hawk edition).

Will it MAX out on 1080p at 1920x1080 or do I need the extra Vram for Skyrim, BF3, MW3 ect?

Thanks monsta and Warmacblu for the help.

monsta

Splendid
The vram issue is starting to make sense now , the latest games are starting to push over 1gb.
There isnt much difference in the Hawk and the Twin frozr, a 2gb model would allow you to push your settings further in the games that pass the 1gb vram.
Its up to you , I see in the reviews that the 1gb model does the trick but others argue that 1gb isnt enough now.

monsta

Splendid
I wouldnt get the 6950's for some reason the drivers aren't ustilising the xfire too well at the moment, games like BF3 are favouring the Nvidia cards. A lot of gamers are not very happy with ATI and their drivers right now.
Go with the Msi Twin Frozr 560ti 2GB, you will love the performance in SLI right now with the latest games, or you could wait till the end of the month when they Release the new model 560ti that has more cores.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Ok, I will consider what you are saying. Sadly my store doesn't stock the Twin Frozr 2GB model :(

What would you say about 1 570 and later another 570 or would it be overkill for my resolution, 1080p?

This one in particular: http://au.msi.com/product/vga/N570GTX-Twin-Frozr-III-Power-Edition.html

Or this one: http://au.msi.com/product/vga/N570GTX-Twin-Frozr-III-Power-Edition-OC.html

And what is the difference between the two? Is it that one is factory overclocked? In other words could I over clocked the non OC one to the same level as the OC one with the same tepms and power consumption?

Thanks!

monsta

Splendid
A 570 would also be great, and adding another later wouldn't be overkill , you would have an awesome gaming rig that could play anything you throw at it.
The only difference with the 2 is an overclock, you can achieve the overclock yourself really. After Burner is a great overclocking utility that comes with the MSI cards you can adjust everything , from core, voltage and fan settings.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks, so you would recommend 570 for the added ~250mb of Vram which would give me a further 500mb of Vram.

So SLI 560 Ti's would give 2GB?

And SLI 570 will give me 2.5GB?

Am I right in saying this, and what would the overall performance boost be between 560 Ti's in SLI and 570 in SLI.

Thank you for your time and patience, I have really enjoyed your comments and input monsta.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Ok, thanks for that Warmacblu.

Now I am seriously considering 570 in SLI vs 6970 CrossFire?

I like the looks of 6970's and there clock speeds, maybe monsta and Warmacblu could help me on this one.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I am thinking of doing this in a few months when I hear more about the next gen cards:

Buy a single GTX 570 or 580 and see if I am satisfied with the performance from those cards. If I am not then I will add another one in SLi or wait until Kepler and sell off the GTX 570 / 580 and purchase a GTX 670 / 680.

If I were you, why not try a single GTX 570 or even a 580 and if you are not satisfied with the performance, then add another one down the road.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Its like everything is so easy to pick when building a PC, then you get to the GPU and its like OMG what do I do and what do I get!

What PSU should I have 2 570's in SLI?

Thanks monsta.

Status
Not open for further replies.