Another one of those threads.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hi everyone :hello:

I am buying my computer by the end of this week :D and I need to now ASAP what GPU configuration I should get.

I will be gaming at 1080p on a 24" monitor ( http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS248H/ ) and would like to know your opinions.

What should I get?

2 x 560 Ti's in SLI.

1 x 580 with no plans of future SLI.

I want to max (I mean MAX out to the limits) out every current game and future games (BF3, MW3, Skyrim ect...). So taking into account my monitor resolution, would you suggest a 580 or 2 x 560 Ti's in SLI?

Thanks and please bomb bard me with opinions, links and comments.

Solution
Get 2 x 560ti 2gb models , faster and better than a single GTX 580 and will keep you good for awile, the 2gb vram will come in handy with the newer games.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks monsta, I will be happy to get the 3GB version but I was just wondering if it was going to be wasted VRAM? Should I opt for the 3GB of 560 Ti's in SLI (TF II 2GB)?

What would give me better performance and what would stay coolder?

Thanks!

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I'm am purchasing almost all of my build this weekend (besides the monitor, mouse, internet security and CPU).

I am really considering the Lighting Edition Xtreme.

Thanks and let me know what you think.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I have heard that BF3 uses more than 1.5GB of VRAM. In all honesty, I would get the normal Lightning Edition to save $70 but I have heard that games will use more than 1.5GB of VRAM and the extra 1.5GB of VRAM would really help.

Thanks.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I doubt you would notice much with one monitor. If you have future plans to SLi and use two monitors then the 3GB may be useful.

You read that review right? The 1.5GB performs better sometimes because of the smaller framebuffer, not to mention the 1.5GB card runs slightly cooler and uses less power.

That 3GB card is for the extreme overclockers and multi monitor displays. The regular lightning version is no slouch either, it has all the same military grade components just no blue fans that blow reverse for 30 seconds on boot and no dual bios, I believe. I think Guru3D did a review of the lightning xtreme card, take a look at that review when you get a chance and pay close attention to their conclusions.

appleshaq

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Oh, I just realised what you said, year over here in Australia the lightning Xtreme is $699 which is a $100 price difference to Newegg. Over here the Lighting is $629. Oh man, prices are hard in Australia. Do you know of a site that sells the Lighting Xtreme Edition at around $600 that ships to Australia or even if it doesn't ship here.

Thnaks!

lightus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Be confident that you'll be able to run BF3 great looking at your options.

I'm currently running a GTX 570 SC (1.25 gig) on ultra at 1080p. The game remains playable no matter what so far. You're planning to get a better card, so your fps are going to be even higher.

I will warn you now though, no matter what you get now, in about a year it's gonna be mid-range.

Status
Not open for further replies.