[SOLVED] Another question about compatibility of RAM and moterboard

Feb 1, 2020
Hello, please advise.
I have a HP ZBOOK 17 G2 laptop with two 8GB modules installed: Micron 16KTF1G64HZ-1G9P1. The modules are PC3-14900 wit nominal frequency of 1866MHz.
I want to add to more modules, but I cannot source the same. Instead, I can source the same modules with different speed grade: 16KTF1G64HZ-1G6E1, PC3-12800 and 1600MHz frequency.

Beside, looking at the laptop service manual, it says that the laptop supports 1600MHz modules. I am confused, since the laptop was bought brand new with 1866MHz modules. Does this mean that the modules are not used in accordance in their ful potential, and are actually overrated?

Here is the datasheet of the memory modules: https://www.micron.com/-/media/clie...ta-sheet/modules/sodimm/ktf16c512_1gx64hz.pdf.

CPU-Z reports DRAM frequency is 933MHz, and CL is 13
Mainboard is HP model 2255, KBC Version 03.12
Chipset is Intel Haswell.

My questions:
  1. Are the present modules used fully regarding frequency?
  2. If so, it probably means that adding two more modules with lower sped grade will most likely have some impact on speed of the system?
  3. If not, is it likely that the old and the new modules can work together?

Many thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello, please advise.
I have a HP ZBOOK 17 G2 laptop with two 8GB modules installed: Micron 16KTF1G64HZ-1G9P1. The modules are PC3-14900 wit nominal frequency of 1866MHz.
I want to add to more modules, but I cannot source the same. Instead, I can source the same modules with different speed grade: 16KTF1G64HZ-1G6E1, PC3-12800 and 1600MHz frequency.

Beside, looking at the laptop service manual, it says that the laptop supports 1600MHz modules. I am confused, since the laptop was bought brand new with 1866MHz modules. Does this mean that the modules are not used in accordance in their ful potential, and are actually overrated?

Here is the datasheet of the memory modules...

RealBeast

Titan
Hello, please advise.

Here is the datasheet of the memory modules: https://www.micron.com/-/media/clie...ta-sheet/modules/sodimm/ktf16c512_1gx64hz.pdf.

CPU-Z reports DRAM frequency is 933MHz, and CL is 13
Mainboard is HP model 2255, KBC Version 03.12
Chipset is Intel Haswell.

My questions:
  1. Are the present modules used fully regarding frequency?
  2. If so, it probably means that adding two more modules with lower sped grade will most likely have some impact on speed of the system?
  3. If not, is it likely that the old and the new modules can work together?

Many thanks in advance.
(1) Yes.
(2) not really, if they work with the current pair -- it is not advisable to mix memory sticks, and your result may and will vary from no problem to no luck
(3) unknown until you try it -- it is best to buy a kit of identical sticks, although I have rarely had issues getting mixed sticks to run if you run them at the slowest speed and timings and highest voltage of any of the requirements for the sticks used.

Solution