Another RAID 1 Question

danny21

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
This question may have already been answered but I am looking for a clear answer to my exact problem. I was running a hardware RAID 1 with 2 4TB drives. My motherboard died and now I have a new one of the exact same type/model. My question is like everyone else, will I lose my data when I setup the RAID again. From what I gathered from other forms it should work but I want to be safe. I have no other way to back up almost 4TB of data, the RAID was my backup. If it helps both boards are MSI X99A Gaming 7.

Solution
Of you re-setup the array you will lose your data because you will have to format it. Now you wouldn't be worried about it if your data was backed up. You might want to make this a priority since no form of raid is a replacement for a backup

Raid 1 is a mirror. All the drives in the array are full copies of master. All you need to basically do is add the drive to the array and re-sync.
With an Intel controller all you do is enter Rapid Storage, select Rebuild or Rebuild to another disk, and the navigate to and select the new hdd.

Now should the remaining drive fail during the rebuild, Rebuild is a very stressful time for drives, then you stand a good chance of losing all your data. Hence why raid is not a replacement for a backup...

popatim

Titan
Of you re-setup the array you will lose your data because you will have to format it. Now you wouldn't be worried about it if your data was backed up. You might want to make this a priority since no form of raid is a replacement for a backup

Raid 1 is a mirror. All the drives in the array are full copies of master. All you need to basically do is add the drive to the array and re-sync.
With an Intel controller all you do is enter Rapid Storage, select Rebuild or Rebuild to another disk, and the navigate to and select the new hdd.

Now should the remaining drive fail during the rebuild, Rebuild is a very stressful time for drives, then you stand a good chance of losing all your data. Hence why raid is not a replacement for a backup...

Solution