another reason i hate mac

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Macs are poor excuses for computers.

They appeal to the video editing, ipod listening, anti-gaming ppl who hate Microsoft Word so much that they dont even want the option to ever have it installed.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Insane!
Admittedly, 2GB sticks are usually relatively more costly than 1GB sticks but Jesus!!!
Even the 1GB stick 533 which is "normal" size is way too much, $200 - I recently bought 4 sticks of 1GB 800 (2 x 2GB dual channel kits) for a total of exactly that price after mailin rebate.

boogityboo04

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
They appeal to the video editing, ipod listening, anti-gaming ppl who hate Microsoft Word so much that they dont even want the option to ever have it installed.
I game, and I have Office 2003 installed on my Mac with OSX Tiger. So ha.

Back on track, try out TigerDirect of MacMall or Newegg for some cheaper mac memory. I just found 4 gb of dual channel DDR2 PC5400 mac memory for $500. I think that price in the Apple store is a typo because if you upgrade to 2gb when you order a mac it is only $250.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
What is so special about "Mac" memory anyway? What are the timings on those guys?
Wouldn't "ordinary" non-Mac brand memory work? (I somehow find it hard to believe if Apple can actually control that too, but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they did, as they do with everything else)...

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
nothing is different unless you gots a mac pro. Thats a whole nother world man....

Then why the heck spend more money on memory. Even the deal boogityboo04 mentions (2x2GB/5400 for $500) you can get a better deal, i.e OCZ for $360 or a pqi for $250 at Newegg.

I'm really curious - what are the timings on those Mac memory sticks? What makes them so special compared to other high quality memory?

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
There is plenty of good manufacturer that have Mac ready memory. In fact, there is no such thing as Apple memory. Apple recommend strict specifications and if you find stick that are within spec, you're good.

You forgot to mention they look girly too :twisted:

Well, matter of taste I guess. I wished more PC case company would had similar girlish case as the Mac Pro.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I wished more PC case company would had similar girlish case as the Mac Pro.

I agree that many "PC" cases are ugly, but who to blame?
On the other hand, while Mac cases are usually rather snassy looking when they come out, they tend to become ugly as fashion changes... I still remember the toilet seat looking Mac notebook (don't recall the model - it was green, cear plastic). Ouch, that really DOES look like a toilet seat!

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I am rocking a MacBook Pro

Core 2 Duo, Ati x1600 2gb ram

My sig rig is for gaming, and my MacBook Pro sits right beside it for virus free web surfing, Microsoft Office and all the Adobe Video Editing and Art Suites :)

I <3 my mac :)

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I wished more PC case company would had similar girlish case as the Mac Pro.

I agree that many "PC" cases are ugly, but who to blame?
On the other hand, while Mac cases are usually rather snassy looking when they come out, they tend to become ugly as fashion changes... I still remember the toilet seat looking Mac notebook (don't recall the model - it was green, cear plastic). Ouch, that really DOES look like a toilet seat!

I agree. This clamshell was damn ugly, as was some of the old iMac. But most recent designs are just too classic to share the same faith. The MacBook, pro and non-pro, and the MacPro won't look silly in 5 years, I'm pretty sure of that.

The fact that the MacPro design haven't change in years now (at least from the outside) pretty much demonstrate that.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
There is plenty of good manufacturer that have Mac ready memory. In fact, there is no such thing as Apple memory. Apple recommend strict specifications and if you find stick that are within spec, you're good.

You forgot to mention they look girly too :twisted:

Well, matter of taste I guess. I wished more PC case company would had similar girlish case as the Mac Pro.

You're right. It is a matter of taste.

Myself, I'd much rather have a Falcon Mach V, a Voodoo OMEN or a new Commodore.

http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcshop/Home.aspx

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Insane!
Admittedly, 2GB sticks are usually relatively more costly than 1GB sticks but Jesus!!!
Even the 1GB stick 533 which is "normal" size is way too much, $200 - I recently bought 4 sticks of 1GB 800 (2 x 2GB dual channel kits) for a total of exactly that price after mailin rebate.

It's Apple, what did you expect :p

As for PC cases, if you don't like what's available then just build your own.

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Insane!

It's Apple, what did you expect :p

As for PC cases, if you don't like what's available then just build your own.

This is exactly what I do. Not because I can't find good case that I like in what's available, but because I like to do it.

There is beautiful PC case out there. But a lot are poorly built, badly designed and doesn't push innovation.

TRENDING THREADS