[SOLVED] Another "reboot and select proper boot device" post.

Jul 12, 2019
Hi there, recently bought a Samsung EVO 860 500GB and cloned my C:/ from my 3TB HDD,
PC is still booting from the hard drive no matter how i order the boot priorities.
Booting without the HDD results in the "reboot and select proper boot device " error,
i know this is not a cable or power issue as the drive shows up as Disk 1 and D:/ when the pc is running.

I suspect it's something to do with the UEFI/Legacy boot modes, of which i have not understanding so any help would be great

thanks

Solution
To fix booting on 500GB SSD, execute from elevated command prompt:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
(select 350MB system reserved partition)​
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot D:\windows /s H:

BTW - your 3TB drive is not partitioned properly. To use full capacity, it must in GPT partitioning scheme. Currently it is MBR. As the result 746GB of your drive is unavailable.
Do you intentionally have 2 windows on separate disks. If not, it looks like you are booting of Disk0 and running windows of Disk 1. It's usual result of installing windows on one disk while the other one already has active windows on it. If you don't know how to avoid that, it's best to have only one disk connected while installing windows.

To fix booting on 500GB SSD, execute from elevated command prompt:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
(select 350MB system reserved partition)​
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot D:\windows /s H:

BTW - your 3TB drive is not partitioned properly. To use full capacity, it must in GPT partitioning scheme. Currently it is MBR. As the result 746GB of your drive is unavailable.

Solution
Jul 12, 2019
Do you intentionally have 2 windows on separate disks. If not, it looks like you are booting of Disk0 and running windows of Disk 1. It's usual result of installing windows on one disk while the other one already has active windows on it. If you don't know how to avoid that, it's best to have only one disk connected while installing windows.

i installed windows on my HDD years ago, im trying to move it to my SSD to make the SSD ym boot drive and use HDD for mass storage. I cannot boot with only SSD as previously stated

i installed windows on my HDD years ago, im trying to move it to my SSD to make the SSD ym boot drive and use HDD for mass storage. I cannot boot with only SSD as previously stated
That's because that mix up with boot sectors being on one disk and C: on another. If you can't fix that booting mixup. best thing would be to reinstall windows on SSD while HDD is disconnected and re-partition HDD after that. Those partitions without letter are just using up space for nothing.

Sorry CountMike , you got it all wrong.

The system is booting from 3TB drive (bootloader and OS partitions are there).
500GB drive is just clone of 2 partitions from 3TB drive.
Currently 500GB drive is unbootable, because it is not properly cloned.
Commands in post #5 would fix all that.

Last edited:
Backup user data from 3TB drive, clean it, convert to gpt, repartition
(all data on the drive gets lost in the process, backup before this is necessary).

diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
(select 3TB disk)​
clean
convert gpt
create partition primary
format ntfs quick