Question Another Self Build

Apr 5, 2020
Hi

I am doing my first self build for a long time and would appreciate the forum's feedback on the below:

1 x MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
1 x AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
1 x Arctic Freezer 34 CPU Cooler - 120mm
1 x Aorus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
1 x Phanteks AMP 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
1 x NZXT H510 Midi Tower Gaming Case - Black Tempered Glass
1 x Team Group Dark T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Grey (TDGED4

When I get the above sorted I will work on HDD/SSD and monitors (looking at dual monitor of Dell SE2417HGX 23.6 Inch TN, Anti Glare, LED-backlit 2019 Gaming Monitor (Black) 1 MS Reponse Time, FHD (1920 x 1080) AT 60 Hz, Thin Bezel, 2xHDMI, VGA, Tilt and AMD Radeon FreeSync, 24)

Many Thanks

Hi

I am doing my first self build for a long time and would appreciate the forum's feedback on the below:

1 x MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
1 x AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
1 x Arctic Freezer 34 CPU Cooler - 120mm
1 x Aorus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
1 x Phanteks AMP 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
1 x NZXT H510 Midi Tower Gaming Case - Black Tempered Glass
1 x Team Group Dark T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Grey (TDGED4

When I get the above sorted I will work on HDD/SSD and monitors (looking at dual monitor of Dell SE2417HGX 23.6 Inch TN, Anti Glare, LED-backlit 2019 Gaming Monitor (Black) 1 MS Reponse Time, FHD (1920 x 1080) AT 60 Hz, Thin Bezel, 2xHDMI, VGA, Tilt and AMD Radeon FreeSync, 24)

Many Thanks
I’d be more interested in getting DDR 3600 And making sure it will work on your motherboard. Ryzen memory controllers benefit very much from DDR 3600. Everything else looks good.

That CPU cooler is junk. You're better off with something from Cooler Master, Cryorig, or Noctua. Avoid Arctic Cooling. Even the AMD stock cooler is better than that.
I'm not sure where you get that from. I've heard nothing but good things about the Freezer 33 and 34, and they've been shown to perform better than Cooler Master's competing 212 Evo, and definitely far better than AMD's Ryzen 5 stock coolers, especially the tiny Wraith Stealth that comes with the 3600. And good luck finding anything from Noctua with comparable cooling performance anywhere remotely near that price range. And I don't think Cryorig coolers are even readily available in the US anymore. Arctic has been around for quite a while and is generally well-respected, so I don't know where you got that opinion from. That seems like clear misinformation, at the very least.

In any case, I thought the build looks quite good, and didn't actually see anything notably wrong with it. However...

looking at dual monitor of Dell SE2417HGX 23.6 Inch TN, Anti Glare, LED-backlit 2019 Gaming Monitor (Black) 1 MS Reponse Time, FHD (1920 x 1080) AT 60 Hz, Thin Bezel, 2xHDMI, VGA, Tilt and AMD Radeon FreeSync, 24
Is this for gaming? I don't see the point in going with a pair of mediocre 1080p 60Hz TN panels for this build. As far as gaming performance is concerned, with a 5700 XT you should be looking at 144Hz monitors at 1080p, or maybe even a 1440p screen. For 1080p60 gaming, the graphics card seems a bit overkill. A 60Hz screen only redraws the image 60 times per second, so most of the frames getting rendered won't even be displayed.

g-unit1111

Titan
I'm not sure where you get that from. I've heard nothing but good things about the Freezer 33 and 34, and they've been shown to perform better than Cooler Master's competing 212 Evo, and definitely far better than AMD's Ryzen 5 stock coolers, especially the tiny Wraith Stealth that comes with the 3600. And good luck finding anything from Noctua with comparable cooling performance anywhere remotely near that price range. And I don't think Cryorig coolers are even readily available in the US anymore. Arctic has been around for quite a while and is generally well-respected, so I don't know where you got that opinion from. That seems like clear misinformation, at the very least.

Maybe I'm just going from personal experience but I have never had good luck with their products. I personally would go with the latter products but that's just me.

Apr 5, 2020
I’d be more interested in getting DDR 3600 And making sure it will work on your motherboard. Ryzen memory controllers benefit very much from DDR 3600. Everything else looks good.

Thanks. I will look at better memory

Ref the dual monitors - Whilst it will be used for gaming I will want to work on it too and 2 monitors is preferred. Let me look at the alternative specs suggested. I will post again shortly.

Thanks all

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

TRENDING THREADS