Another, "Setup was unable to create a new system partition etc..."

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I am running a rig I built about five years ago using Windows 7 professional. I recently had a failure of an early model SSD that contained the operating system. I removed the drive and attempted to install Windows to one of the three remaining hard drives on the rig. The one I chose was a 931GB that had little to nothing on it. If I recall correctly the drive was on allocated when I viewed it on the screen. In no particular order I tried formatting the drive, creating a new partition by clicking on, "New" and also attempted to create multiple partitions for no particular reason. All of these resulted in the same error message, " Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup logs for more information."

At the moment I have the bios set to boot from the DVD ROM drive and you seen the original install disk. I did attempt to wade through the dozens of similar error messages in google but apparently there are many reasons this error can occur. I thought there would be a simple solution so I thought I would start here to find it. Suggestions?