[SOLVED] Another Slow Wifi Thread

pbcsd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
So been having difficulties getting decent wifi speeds in my house, and curious what I should adjust next. My setup is as follows:

1. Xfinity XB6 router in bridge mode (used as a modem)
  2. Netgear R7000 as the main router running DD-WRT in the basement
  3. 2 gigabit switches plugged directly into the R7000
  4. A TP-Link EAP225v3 AP on my main floor, and another on my 2nd floor

Wired, I'm getting 800-900mbps. But on 2.4GHz signals, I'm typically getting 30-60mbps, occasionally a bit higher. 5GHz typically gets 80 -100. That is from a few feet from the APs.

2.4GHz Channel -set to 1, since 6, 9 and 11 are saturated, 1 is pretty clean
5GHz Chanel set to 149, which looks clear

1. Any other settings I should be looking at in the router or APs that folks find help?

2. For the SSID, right now I have two. One for the 2.4 and another for the 5GHz radio. Should I change that to just 1 and ignore the 2.4 and 5 and then presumably the device will decide what's best to use?

Solution
So been having difficulties getting decent wifi speeds in my house, and curious what I should adjust next. My setup is as follows:

Wired, I'm getting 800-900mbps. But on 2.4GHz signals, I'm typically getting 30-60mbps, occasionally a bit higher. 5GHz typically gets 80 -100. That is from a few feet from the APs.

1. Any other settings I should be looking at...

kanewolf

Titan

1. Any other settings I should be looking at in the router or APs that folks find help?

2. For the SSID, right now I have two. One for the 2.4 and another for the 5GHz radio. Should I change that to just 1 and ignore the 2.4 and 5 and then presumably the device will decide what's best to use?
You have three WIFI sources. R7000, and two TP-Links. They should ALL be on different channels on both 2.4 and 5Ghz.
60Mbit on 2.4 is typical. That would be a 140Mbit link speed which is typical for 2.4Ghz.
5Ghz, I would start by dropping to a channel under 50. You can try an 80Mhz channel width.
Have you verified that you have a gigabit link from the APs to your switches? Bad cabling and only a 100Mbit link to the switch will cause the symptom you are seeing.

Solution

pbcsd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Thanks, thought I had read somewhere to keep all AP's and router on same channel to avoid roaming issues and switching between channels?

Will look at using a lower 5GHz channel(s).

When I mentioned the wired speed, it was wired upstairs to a laptop (which is homerun to the switch), so I think the speeds from the switch are good. Though I will wire directly to the same POE switch that my AP's are connected to just in case.

BTW, when using Acrylic wifi analyzer, it shows the max speed of my AP's to be 866.7, while my R7000 shows as 1300. Not sure why that would be?