[SOLVED] another ssd to m.2 transfer problem

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I read all of these problems but none of the solutions are working for me.
I have a Samsung 830 ssd (256GB) as my system drive. I imaged it and restored the image to my new Samsung 980Pro m.2 drive (500GB).
I set the bios to boot from the 980. It just keeps retrying to boot.
The 830 got messed up in my attempts at various solutions so I also had to reimage it with the same image and it boots fine when set to boot in BIOS.
MB=MSI MPG 570x with Rysen 5 5600x CPU
Disk management shows both disks with the same config as does DISKPART = 2 reserved partitions, a system partition and a primary partition
Both are GPT. The 980 has its remaining space unallocated.
There are fewer files & folders on the 830 but that may be because I am operating from the 830 right now, but I haven't deleted anything.
BIOS is set to UEFI not CSM.
What do I need to do to get this 980 to boot?

edit; more info - DISKPART shows the primary partition of 830 boot but not P4 of the 980. So How do I get the boot bit set or do I need to start over. ACTIVE only works on a fixed MBR disk

Last edited:
Solution
Samsung has a pcie nvme driver which you should probably install.
You can download it here:

Because pcie devices require high bandwidth, particularly f pcie4 is in play, motherboards will disable some sata ports. Check your motherboard manual, perhaps that is where the sata drive was connected.

USAFRet

Titan
What tool did you use for this clone?
For a Samsung target drive, you should try the Samsung Data Migration first.

At the end of the clone process, did you: power off, physically disconnect the 830, and allow the system to boot up from the new drive? Thisis not optional.

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I did shut down, disconnect the 830, boot to bios, change the drive, and reboot. Then I get a failed message. nothing I do makes it boot. Shouldn't it show BOOT in diskpart?

I read all of these problems but none of the solutions are working for me.
I have a Samsung 830 ssd (256GB) as my system drive. I imaged it and restored the image to my new Samsung 980Pro m.2 drive (500GB).
I set the bios to boot from the 980. It just keeps retrying to boot.
The 830 got messed up in my attempts at various solutions so I also had to reimage it with the same image and it boots fine when set to boot in BIOS.
MB=MSI MPG 570x with Rysen 5 5600x CPU
Disk management shows both disks with the same config as does DISKPART = 2 reserved partitions, a system partition and a primary partition
Both are GPT. The 980 has its remaining space unallocated.
There are fewer files & folders on the 830 but that may be because I am operating from the 830 right now, but I haven't deleted anything.
BIOS is set to UEFI not CSM.
What do I need to do to get this 980 to boot?

edit; more info - DISKPART shows the primary partition of 830 boot but not P4 of the 980. So How do I get the boot bit set or do I need to start over. ACTIVE only works on a fixed MBR disk
The x570 comes in a few different flavors.
I do not have any of your parts so for what it's worth.
When I cloned my sata ssd....which was working fine.... to a m.2 nvme the m.2 would not boot.
After fussin with it I figured out I needed to update the drivers on the sata ssd before I cloned to the m.2.

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
where did you find the drivers?
I can clean install windows and it will boot.
If I try to overwrite the primary partition from my image, the boot goes into a repair and can't fix it.

How do I make it a boot disk? apparently an image is not an image.
My image boots on the 830

Last edited:

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
What tool did you use for this clone?
For a Samsung target drive, you should try the Samsung Data Migration first.

At the end of the clone process, did you: power off, physically disconnect the 830, and allow the system to boot up from the new drive? Thisis not optional.
THANK YOU. I downloaded the SDM and ran that Disconnected my 830 and it booted. The 980 is now alive and well. THEN it thought it strange that there was no instructions, so I went looking. It sure would be nice if Sammy put a sticker on that box indicating where they buried the instructions, WHICH SAYS to dnld the SDM and run that. Why that clone works and Macrium does not is a mystery.

Another mystery is:
After imaging with Samsung Data Migration and booting without original drive, the m.2 booted. When I plug the original drive back in, either on the sata port or as an external drive it does not show up in FE. However, if I plug it into my laptop it is alive and well.
In diskpart on the desktop, DETAIL says there is no volume associated with the primary partition. Disk manager shows the drive as a ghost with no information and no ability to do anything with it - everything is grayed out. On the laptop it shows the volume, letter, etc.

What did SDM do to this drive that it can't be accessed on the desktop?

What did SDM do to this drive that it can't be accessed on the desktop?
Probably old drive is offline now. Bring it online.

windows-10-hard-drive-online-option.jpg

Because pcie devices require high bandwidth, particularly f pcie4 is in play, motherboards will disable some sata ports. Check your motherboard manual, perhaps that is where the sata drive was connected.

Solution

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

Thank you. There is specific drivers for the 980 which is under SSD drives vs the 970 and previous NVMe devices which is under NVMe drivers.