Another U.S. Government Agency Drops BlackBerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

inerax

Distinguished
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]"It's looking to move up to 8 million employees to the iPhone and Android-powered smartphones"The Pentagon has 8 million employees???[/citation]

Glad thats what you took out of this news article ;)

about 20-25k people work inside the pentagon.

I bet the pentagon controls over 8 million people and they could decide to switch them if needed.

inerax

Distinguished
[citation][nom]inerax[/nom]Glad thats what you took out of this news article about 20-25k people work inside the pentagon.I bet the pentagon controls over 8 million people and they could decide to switch them if needed.[/citation]

thinking about it that doesn't make sense.... 8 million federal workers in the US? i dont think so.... correct the article lol.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I want to know is how old are these handsets that they are using. Here in Canada, many of the Gov't are still using the BB7250!!!! If they are using old handsets then that would explain why they are not reliable. Gov't doesn't upgrade every year like the punks now a days. I have the 9900 and its very reliable and works great for business purposes. It only crashes when the battery dies :p

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Government agencies use ancient hardware. They are using BlackBerries that are probably 2+ years old. I've never had any issue ever with any BlackBerry I've owned. Now I've also upgraded every time a new model has come out also. RIM had 80 million users..losing 400 isn't exactly a big deal.[/citation]

Its a huge negative trend amongst enterprise and government Blackberry users. RIM sadly thought they had a monopoly over these sectors and its eroding faster and faster.

They may have 80 million users but what's the rate of growth? We don't need to get into all the metrics, we all know RIM is a dying company that failed to innovate and offered obsolete products for years.

May RIM RIP.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]inerax[/nom]thinking about it that doesn't make sense.... 8 million federal workers in the US? i dont think so.... correct the article lol.[/citation]
Well I know there are ~2.0-2.2 million federal civilian employees total.

Which means one or more of the following...
A) Our military is friggen' gigantic at 5.8+ million employees.
B) The 8 million number includes state workers and/or government contractors.
C) Everyone in the government gets 4 phones.
D) Zak screwed up.

If I were a bettin' man, I'd pick option D (sorry Zak).

Anyway, not surprised. Out of all of the old hard-core Blackberry users that I know, only one of them is still using a Blackberry. But I'm nearly positive she'll die with a Blackberry in her hand, so not sure if I should count her towards the total or just label her a statistical anomaly. ;)

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
So, how much were they bribed by Apple to change? There's a giant budget deficit and the government is buying $800 iPhones for their employees. Awesome use of tax payer money to buy overpriced status symbol.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Whoa whoa wait a second. A few week ago, Zak himself did post an article here, stating that the FBI or a security firm (dont remember) deemed the newest Blackberry THE most secure, hacking-proof device.

Zak, are you copy/pasting this crap, or is just that you like Apple so much that you need to contradict yourself to favor them?
Getting tired of this, dude.

I can't wait for the very first employee to sync/backup the device to a public computer
This is going to end up a real nightmare.

1 good BES admin should be able to juggle 100 users as full time job

How many IT personal in another country will it take to support a bunch of babyheads with iphones?

[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Whoa whoa wait a second. A few week ago, Zak himself did post an article here, stating that the FBI or a security firm (dont remember) deemed the newest Blackberry THE most secure, hacking-proof device.Zak, are you copy/pasting this crap, or is just that you like Apple so much that you need to contradict yourself to favor them?Getting tired of this, dude.[/citation]

All Toms news articles are copy pasted from other sites. They don't do any actual reporting. That's why they are so far behind, they have to wait for someone else to write something interesting for them to copy, then throw in a bunch of links and factual mistakes

That being said, it's just a report that they are switching. He didn't make them switch to apple, nor were security issues brought up as the reason. He even said black berry 10 passed and linked to it. Your complaint is just dumb.

We all know what's happening. They are using old phones, and someone wanted a free iPhone so we get to pay for it.

As for the 8 million "employees" he copied that from the Washington post for the original article, and still managed to get it wrong, which said they were building a system which MAY be expanded to be capable of handle 8 million DEVICES. Not users. Never said there will actually be 8 million. Or even that the users will all be employees. Or what devices this new system will be expanded to handle. Probably any mobile device including laptops/tablets etc. as we are well aware someone can have more than one device....

There are security.management programs. My friend was forced to buy iPads for the sales guys because they wanted a toy. he locked them down so tight one guy actually gave it back once he figured out it was actually expected to be used for work and not as his personal toy, and went out and bought his own.

The same should happen here. It's a sad waste of our money, but at least We can laugh at them when they find out what they can't do

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]inerax[/nom]thinking about it that doesn't make sense.... 8 million federal workers in the US? i dont think so.... correct the article lol.[/citation]

Technically every soldier, sailor, airman, and marine are pentagon employees. Plus all the civilian support staff that work at every US base in the world. I could see that totaling around 8 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.