Question Another Upgrade Suggestions on 1150 socket

sodacandan

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Ok, this is what Iv'e got. Iv'e got a Gigabyte Z97-X G1 gaming board, 800W power supply, 16Gb ram, Silicon Power 256 GB ssd, I7 4790K CPU, with a 6GB Gigabyte 1060 GPU. What seems to be happening to me is this, When I am in a race ( all I do it racing) in Iracing using my Oculus Quest VR (Imho the ONLY way to race on a comp.) I am having a rendering issue from some sort of bottle necking from my CPU causing some sort of stuttering issue from time to time depending on factors like how many cars there are, the track I'm at ect. I have everything you can think of turned down as far (if not off) in graphics as you can possibly do. I am plugged in with a LAN line so my connection is great. The only other thing I can think of to get it seamless and turn up the things VR is known for is to upgrade my PSU. I am VERY inexperienced when it comes to overclocking ect and I have read you can do more harm when you are like me so I am thinking an upgrade is the only safe way to go about this responsibly on my part. I would be just shot and shattered if I broke this thing I have poured my time and money into. This thread is like others but my system is not like others so I imagine things change when it would come to recommendations correct?? I know I have the LGA 1150 socket but that is about it to be honest. I believe they are a plug and play sort of thing when it comes to the install correct? Any info would be awesome as I dont want to buy things twice like usual ( story of my like. Just call me Danny dose) I dont care if it is a ryzen, intell, whatever as long as it gets the bottle neck thing out of the room. Thanks, Danny

Well, from your given specs you're trying to run VR on the bare minimum as far as hardware goes. Your CPU is fairly reasonable but you could really do with a step up on your video card. Something in the GTX 1070 (RTX 2060, RX 5700) or 1080 (RTX 2070, RX 5700 XT) performance class should smooth things out for you. If you are also looking for a CPU upgrade you're going to need a new motherboard and RAM as well. I'd recommend going with a Ryzen 2600X or 3600, or a 8th gen i5 or better. I think a better video card would be the better bet for solving your issue.

To make better suggestions a budget would be helpful, but these are really the parts you should be aiming for.

sodacandan

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
justin.m.beauvais
THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!! I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for a straight answer. Normally when someone asks a question I have found either you get some sort of troll answer or you get someone telling you I should just buy another system. (It is easy to spend other peoples money over a forum lol) I mean ya that would work fine for another whom has the knowledge to just look and say "ya that will be just fine" but, for a guy/gal whom didn't make computers their 2nd life is gets so confusing. Especially when you are stuck in the 80-90's like I am. Now that I am older, my social life has come to a slow walk these days I am beginning to explore different avenues of life to keep me entertained so to speak. I love racing with VR it is simply the absolute best imho but keep in mind I haven't had the pleasure of running a race on triple screens and I hear it is quite good as well but for some reason I think with it lacking the depth you get with the VR headset it would be missing that immersiveness. I am going to take your advice and up my vid card. When I bought the 1060 I was thinking if a 970 was good enough a 1060 should take it to where it would be good enough but I was wrong as usual. Thanks again
P.S.
I apologize for the book I wrote

sodacandan

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Just one or two more things if I may, Do you have a particular brand of card you go with or are they all pretty much on the same page with performance? and lastly, If I were to upgrade mt DDR3 what do you suggest as far as MHz and latency? I dont have endless money like I wish I did so as far as a budget goes, I will buy what I have to and pay the piper later as they say. I am just basically trying to tackle one issue my life causing me some stress and move on to the next issue if you know what I mean. I just dont want to buy something and figure out I should have bought something different ( example) 3200 MHz opposed to a 3200 MHz turbo version where the latency is lower I do know that CAS 3 is faster than CAS 5 so I am not completely lost I just dont understand the MHz aspect all that well

Just one or two more things if I may, Do you have a particular brand of card you go with or are they all pretty much on the same page with performance? and lastly, If I were to upgrade mt DDR3 what do you suggest as far as MHz and latency? I dont have endless money like I wish I did so as far as a budget goes, I will buy what I have to and pay the piper later as they say. I am just basically trying to tackle one issue my life causing me some stress and move on to the next issue if you know what I mean. I just dont want to buy something and figure out I should have bought something different ( example) 3200 MHz opposed to a 3200 MHz turbo version where the latency is lower I do know that CAS 3 is faster than CAS 5 so I am not completely lost I just dont understand the MHz aspect all that well
RAM speed isn't going to be a determining factor in performance, at least not in any meaningful way. Also 16GB is still above the curve for what most games will use. So, your RAM amount is just fine.

I'm glad I could help. I've been running VR games for a bit on a few different systems, all decidedly lower end for VR. My current go to system is an Acer Predator Helios 300 with a 7700HQ and a GTX 1060, and I can tell you I need more graphics power. The CPU, much like the 4790K, is just fine, but I need something that pushes more pixels. So, I'm acutely familiar with your problem. Best of luck!