Another "which monitor do I choose" thread

Jaredivin

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date: (5/11/15-5/18/15)

Budget Range: $300 (for one/split for two)

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming> surfing the web/research> video watching/editing

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: i've yet to have a bad experience with any, so whoever's personal preference.

Country of Origin: USA

Brand Preferences: N/A

Physical Size (Diagonal): 20-24"

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: 1920x1080 +

Computers and Other Devices To Attach: 1 desktop (DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI), PlayStation 4 (HDMI), potentially 1 laptop (HDMI) (willing to use same plug that ps4 would use althought the more the merrier)

Panel Type(s) Desired: IPS, TN

LED Backlight: Required / Desired / Indifferent / Avoided (note: before indicating a desire for an LED backlight, you should know that low-end "white" LED backlights can give a blue tinge to the monitor, and thereby look worse than CCFL backlights; if you have other reasons for wanting one in spite of this, you can provide them here)

Speakers: external speakers

Wall-Mount: Indifferent

Stand Functions: Indifferent

Additional Comments:
I understand that there are many of these types of threads, so the only reason I'm making my own is because I just want some updated options.

The uses I will have for these monitors is general computer multitasking, some computer gaming (starcraft 2), and console gaming. I do play FPS but only on console, so for the most part im already restricted to 60hz.

Some things im curious about is:
1) if there is a noticeable difference between 1ms response time vs 5 ms response (to an eye thats coming from playing on a LED tv)
2) if there is a noticeable difference between 5ms response time TN vs 5ms response time IPS.
3) should i be looking into upgrading to two screens for any practical purposes besides looking awesome.

Im open to all suggestions and biases, and mainly just interested in if you were in my position what would you waste your money on.

No I have not been to a store (best buy/walmart) to see any in person yet, which I plan on doing later today or tomorrow.

my computer build for anyone that may be curious:
AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Syba SD-VIA-5U 5-port (4+1) USB 2.0 PCI Card, VIA Chip

Jaredivin

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
That monitor looks decent, although I'm having a difficult time seeing if its a TN or IPS. Im assuming its TN. counter to that, I've seen this one and it seems to be better on most fronts (minus the 2 inches) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-21-5-led-hd-monitor-black/5818083.p?id=1219159698849

referring to question 2, i mean in the regards of actual response time. Like is a 5ms response time the same on both TN and IPS. Is there any leniency from all companies towards IPS response time because they dont want people to see the drastic difference of 8ms vs 1ms TN and have that being a deciding factor to someone who may not even notice there are different panel types.

TRENDING THREADS