Question Another will these parts be compatible

yee-haw

Prominent
May 31, 2019
I posted one of these earlier today, but I looked at some new parts and changed my list. Will these parts work? Will they be VR capable, and if not, what can I do to make them capable?

x CPU- Intel core i5-9400F

x RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 C14 2x8GB

x GPU- Nvidia Gtx 1060-3gb

x Power Supply- Corsair CX Series 500 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Non-Modular

x Case- CORSAIR - Carbide Series ATX Mid-Tower Case - Black/Red

x Motherboard- Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5

x SSD- Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
compatible check. a few issues to consider. eyes open.
memory could be faster, 2666 is supported by the processor out of the box, do not hobble the RAM speeds, the more bandwidth the better.
my 7 yr old GPU has 3GB - hd 7950, like the RAM you are hobbling the GPU. get the 6Gb variant at the very least, the small price difference will pay off in the very near future.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TTfmP6/msi-radeon-rx-580-8gb-armor-oc-video-card-rx-580-armor-8g-oc
the rx 580 with 8GB is a deal right now

Reactions: yee-haw

yee-haw

Prominent
May 31, 2019
2666 is supported by the processor out of the box, do not hobble the RAM speeds, the more bandwidth the better.

could you put "2666 is supported by the processor out of the box, do not hobble the RAM speeds, the more bandwidth the better." in simpler terms? I am very confused by what that means

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
no problem. the memory you selected is slower than what the CPU can handle without any tweaking. the default speed is 2666mhz.
by using slower than default RAM, you are slowing the CPU too. the memory controller is on the CPU, if memory runs at x so must the memory controller. by getting faster RAM the CPU does not need to be slowed down. more bandwidth to the RAM means faster memory actions.

clumsy analogy
the i5 want to talk to the RAM at 2666, your making it talk at 2400. slower is worse. change RAM to allow full talk speed between the CPU and the RAM. 2666mhz

logainofhades

Titan
could you put "2666 is supported by the processor out of the box, do not hobble the RAM speeds, the more bandwidth the better." in simpler terms? I am very confused by what that means

Get 2666, if you get that CPU. What is your budget, and usage? Also, it might be worth waiting, for Ryzen 3000, which releases in july.

The CX500 is a poor quality power supply. Z370 is pointless, as that CPU cannot overclock, and that is what Z370 is meant for. Also, that board might need a bios update, just to run a 9400f. Intel 660p is often priced well, and would be faster than that Samsung QVO.